Outlook Express

Put your queries here

Outlook Express

Postby vannin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:18 pm

This happened once before about two years ago. My Outlook Express started spewing out reams of spam (90% of the impotency variety) much more than usual - then it settled down in a few days. We got our spam filter just after that.

This week, since Wednesday, back it came again. It is being filtered out, but still I am aware it is happening, from the sheer volume of the trash! From about a daily dozen usually, to about a hundred now.

Is anyone else finding this? I think my worry is the fact my normal emails are thin on the ground simultaneously, and non-technos like me can wrongly assume there is a connection.

Viv
vannin

Postby dejavou » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:29 pm

Can't help Viv, I no longer use OE
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Daff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:39 pm

I don't use OE but in the last week the amount of spam I get (normally 5-6 a day) has suddenly multiplied, today I've received over a hundred :tantrum2: .
I have 3 mail addresses and it is only coming in on the ntl account
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby vannin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Hm, strange. I had a feeling it might not just be OE

Viv
vannin

Postby Rowan » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:47 pm

I've had loads of spam lately - thirteen from the same person at the same time.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby vannin » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:49 pm

Perhaps I have been lucky in the last couple of years since the other onslaught was spewing forth. Before this month I was only having up to a dozen per day.

Viv
vannin

Postby DaisyB » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:53 pm

I don't use OE, never have, all my mail comes through Mozilla Thunderbird and I get very little spam
DaisyB

Postby clevewyn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:36 pm

You been unlucky I guess, probaby got your addy on a list being passed around by the spammers.

Only thing I could suggest is to use Mailwasher or similar and mark them for blacklist and delete before you get them all in your inbox.

Mailwasher will remember them and mark them for delete when you process your mail. It`s a good idea if you use it to mark your friends also, it helps to avoid accidents.
clevewyn

Postby Daff » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:22 pm

I use Thunderbird too June but I noticed this last month that some of the spam that is arriving has my ntl address as both sender and recipient, no doubt address has been harvested off some of the forwards that keep being sent without bcc :roll:
"In the depths of winter, I finally learned that there was in me an invincible summer."
Albert Camus
Daff

Postby vannin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:39 pm

Two hundred already today!

Viv
vannin

Postby Dragon Lady » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:02 pm

Oh blimey Viv - that's no joke! Apart from changing your email address, I don't know what you can do! I got quite a bit of spam when I was with Pipex (Tiscali owned) but I like the set up I now have with Plusnet. I can make more mailboxes for, say, things purchased on line or for use with any websites which I think might spam me. If that happens, I can just delete the mailbox!

I can back what Clevewyn says about Mailwasher. I use it and its great because you can view all your emails whilst they are still on the server and delete the rubbish before ever it gets onto your desktop. The basic Mailwasher is free!

I used to get emails coming from me to me, as well! Just before I made the change from Pipex to Plusnet emails that I sent to people used to arrive with "POSSIBLE SPAM" on the header - so embarrassing! My email address must have got blacklisted because of this bit of "identity theft"! :evil:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby Victors Mate » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 pm

I don't get any spam since I changed to my current ISP a year or more ago.
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:19 pm

Well, although escalating, it can't be called a problem really. Since they are on the Norton anti-spam folder , not on the Inbox, they are not pretending to be other than spam. I am just aware of having to delete them from the Spam screen all the time.

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:30 am

It seems to have all simmered down now after a week of seeing sometimes hundreds per day on the Anti-spam screen. Yesterday and today, back to the normal trickle in single figures!

I always glance at the filtered spam because the very occasional valid email is sometimes misdirected.

Viv
vannin

Postby Daff » Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Here too, Viv.
Last week beginning of this it was averaging 150 a day, now it is back to about 10 a day
Hopefully that means one spammer closed down or moved on, sadly though some one else will take there place.
Albert Camus
Daff

Next

Return to Technical Forum