Printer help

Put your queries here

Printer help

Postby Monika » Sat Jan 30, 2010 5:57 pm

My XL document won't print - does anyone know why, please?

When I do the Print Preview, all is OK - but when I press Print, it comes up with a blank page and "This program is not responding" message.

I've tried printing other things and ran a printer test page - everything was OK with those, so I don't think it's the printer but perhaps something in the document set-up.

Any suggestions?
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Postby Monika » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:32 pm

I finally solved the problem myself by opening a new spreadsheet and copying and pasting the data into the new one.

Now - everything is OK.
Monika

Postby Rowan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:43 pm

Good for you Monika - I wouldn't have had a clue
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:45 pm

Looks like you're our new resident expert then Monika :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Monika » Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:08 am

You reckon?

What I know about technology would fit on a postage stamp and you'd still have enough room for the first verse of God Save the Queen!
Monika

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:30 am

My printer has broken! The reason is Ink System Failure. Not the cartridges themselves but the wholwe workings of them: Oxc18a0001.

I went into the HP trouble-shooting site and came to the end where, after each 'next', it ran out of suggestions and said this needs servicing. Unfortunately I don't have a regular service-person and am just amazed my PC has gone through nearly two years without a fault that needed attention.

Viv
vannin

Postby Penny » Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Having problem with my printer too. It will do copying so ink is o.k. but will not print at all. Have to leave it, am hopeless ih these things. cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Viv and Penny with both Argos and Amazon selling various all-in-one Printer, copier, scanners from £35 upwards it is not really worth looking to repair if it involves getting in someone to do it.
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:52 pm

Victors Mate wrote:Viv and Penny with both Argos and Amazon selling various all-in-one Printer, copier, scanners from £35 upwards it is not really worth looking to repair if it involves getting in someone to do it.

VM, I was tending towards the same opinion. When our previous one - an Epson - spluttered, five years ago, it was ditched for this HP Photosmart 8250. I am not really sure what to go looking for. There is a PC World down the world, would there be bargains there too?

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:25 pm

I don't actually do photos myself, so don't need the allsinging alldancing printer. But I do know a new printer has to be compatible with my system. There is a nice reasonable HP DJ1660 Inkjet at Argos Online but it says compatible with Windows Vista, so presumably incompatible with XP which I have. My knowledge fits less than a postage stamp and my ignorance could fill the house!

Viv
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:07 pm

This might be worth a look Viv

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-PIXMA-MP2 ... =de_a_smtd

or the MP250 (argos has them) both would seem to be XP compatable.

It's worth reading the customer reviews on Amazon but the product does seem to be highly "starred"
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:52 pm

Bless you VM! I think the Canon from Amazon might be just right. I have just spent this half hour comparing the page word-for-word with the equivelant page in my HP Reference Guide Book. All the small print of System Requirements including (as you rightly say) the XP operating system, by now I have spots before my eyes but it all matches up! Whoopee, I have faced the challenge of many learning curves although not with the computer!! This is my February curve.

There is a man who originally procured all our IT for the home, a friend of David's. He used to come and advise on updating etc and of course David constantly selftaught along with a lifetime of DIY. The friend is a VERY busy purchasing manager and wouldn't easily find a 'window' for visiting to inspect the system..

I contacted him when the monitor gave up, eighteen months ago. He ordered a new one for delivery to me, and I connected it myself. But it wasn't cheap, and I realised I could have looked online and ordered it without bothering him!

Viv
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:53 pm

Viv make sure you check the customer reviews that Amazon always include in their product description.
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Yes, I will be sure to.....and thanks.

Viv
vannin

Postby Dragon Lady » Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:39 pm

Viv, before you commit yourself go and look at various ink cartridge suppliers and check the prices of Canon originals and their compatibles (if they have any). I have a Pixama IP1800 and the inks cost an arm and a leg. I am into refilling them now!

When a printer is fairly new on the market the technicians for these companies have not worked on the inks for that printer, so it is a long time before you can buy compatibles.

Sometimes too, if you Google for the type of printer you have and add the message you are getting about the printer, you might find some technical forums where people are offering solutions to get over the problem. Its worth trying that line as well. I know Epson are beasts for telling you that you need to get a technician. Its not always the case!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Next

Return to Technical Forum