Printer help

Put your queries here

Postby vannin » Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 pm

Inks, especially black, are a terrible price generally I think. We started using StinkyInk a few years ago, good prices and have remained pleased with them.
http://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/
Thank you for the advice. I Googled as you said and up came hundreds of pages related to Ink System Failure on HP Photosmarts various models. There was a soluution offered by 'Anonymous' for the 3110 version which worked for (again) pages of hundreds of relieved users!! Unfortunately it doesn't work for my - or other people's - 8250, because the buttons are different.

There was a consensus of disgusted comments about HP own people being useless as well as expensive.

Viv
vannin

Postby Oddquine » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:02 am

Got an Epson Photo R200 printer and a Packard Bell Diamond 1200 scanner. Had them both running quite happily on XP on my old hard drive....but that hard drive died on me.

I do not have a scooby as to what upgrades to Windows were installed when I got this set-up, so had to install a basic OS, because that is all I had on disc. ......and, given my reluctance to let Microsoft into my computer I'm not overly inclined to let them get a foothold into my OS just to install a scanner..printer works OK.

So I'm considering an all-in-one replacement for both...but Epson seems to be the cheapest re compatible Ink cartridges....so presently, that is where my focus is. Can't be bothered with refilling cartridges via syringe.

Any recommendations?
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby mazzy » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:18 am

I've got a canon pixma 540 - best printer i have ever had. It has a rear and front paper feed tray which is brilliant for me, as I use a lot of heavy card.

I bought it from the local 'cartridge refill' shop. Told them the cheapest i could find on line and paid just £10 more than that. I buy all my compatible ink from them.
It has turned out to be really economical for me.

I think i pai about £86.......i was surprised to see the same printer in Staples last week for £145!!!!!!
mazzy

Postby Dragon Lady » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:33 pm

It does seem that Epson compatibles are the cheapest, Oddie. However, having had two Epson printers I found both died on me after about a year of use.

When you decide to refill your cartridges the hardest part, I find, is drilling the holes in the tops of the cartridges. They do provide a little tool for this purpose but, it's hard work and quite often when the plastic does break through, the end of the tool shoots into the cartridge and ruins the foam.

By chance, I bought a black compatible in W H Smith. I found that already had the hole drilled in the top and covered by a sticky label. I took a chance and bought a colour one and that proved to have the holes in it as well. It is now very easy to refill them.

Having got really hacked off with printer manufacturers and the way they try to make your printer refuse to take compatibles (this happened to me with the Canon) I emailed the Office of Fair Trading and complained of restrictive practices on the part of these companies. They refused to follow the matter up because THEY HAD NOT RECEIVED ENOUGH COMPLAINTS about this issue! :evil: :evil: :evil:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Postby vannin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 4:07 pm

Oh whoops! The printer arrived!! On a 24-hour delivery, when it was to be Friday or after, since there had been no delivery charge.

The first thing I found and which was the one thing I missed out when making my 'word-for-word checks for compatibility, was the connecting lead itself. The connections are entirely different. So - double-whoops, because it should have been my first double-check before ordering.

As a first resort I have left a message (seeking advice) for the chap I mentioned before. My next message, if I don't hear back from him, will be to my friend's husband who is a software test engineer.

Viv
vannin

Postby Victors Mate » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:29 pm

Viv having read this in the reviews

"Have just received the printer, looks fantastic. Easy to install until you get to the bit where it says 'now connect to the printer' and you realise you can't because Canon have not supplied you with the appropriate USB cable. Factor this into your pricing."

I guess this (link) is what you need but please don't take my word for it without checking. It costs about three quid.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-PRO-Hi-S ... y_ce_img_b

To me it looks as if it should be something you could get locally.

As far as ink cartridges are concerned I use manufarturer's cartridges while the warranty is in force and then compatibles. I find by this time the alternatives suppliers are readily available.
Victors Mate

Postby vannin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi VM, I am happy to tell you to ignore my lastpost completely, I was wrong about the lead!

The existing USB is fine once I moved everything closer together. It was the power lead which I thought HAD to connect with the lumbering great transformer which formerly stood between the printer and monitor - but then realised it was purely an HP transformer and is now therefore obsolete.

I have installed, registered and tried out experimental document-print. Started unpacking it at 6 p.m.and finished at 7.30. Quite pleased with myself and with the new baby!!

Thanks again for all advice

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:13 pm

It still works so i seem to have been lucky! I must say: the unexpected Next Day delivery, having been free, can't be bad either.

Viv
vannin

Postby Dragon Lady » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Well done Viv. It sounds like the problem has been solved!
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Previous

Return to Technical Forum