Forum Improvements

Put your suggestions and ideas for improving the forum here.

Postby dejavou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:39 pm

That's sorted then :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Oddquine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:44 pm

george 45 wrote:
Oddquine wrote:I think I'm happy enough with it as it is.

The forum is as Eve wanted it.

Once I sort out the registration problems, I'll look into what went wrong with the choosing of styles and there is the option of a shoutbox free template among them..but nobody else has complained about the bells and whistles which have been on this forum from the beginning.

My post was not a complaint Oddie....I was responding to the request for suggestions on how to improve the forum.....viz:- "Put your suggestions and ideas for improving the forum here"
Sometimes you just can't win ! :groaner:

Not a problem as such, George, but if you read the rest of the Suggestions forum, you will see that it was set up when the forum was new so that members could have it as they wanted it as far as that was possible..and the forum was just left after the suggestions petered out.

Speed of access may improve it for you, but as the forum has become older so have the members, and with age has come patience, so they appear to be prepared to wait if the forum is slow loading..and as the member base is small (but select :mrgreen:), there are a lot less posts to be loaded than on forums with dedicated servers which have thousands of posts a day and load as if they were wading through treacle wearing diving boots. I'm on one of them, but I just open another tab and go somewhere else while it loads and go back when it does.

As the forum has become more unwieldy over the years as bits were added, I have pruned it a couple of times, but generally not removed anything Eve and I thought was worth keeping. I don't have a problem with hosting space or bandwidth, you see, so forum size is not a problem.

I think it is as fast as most forums on the internet, and a lot faster than some...though it does certainly have hiccups when there is a database problem on the hosting server...but slowness can also be down to a slow broadband connection.....in my own case, I'm on an exchange with, compared to well populated areas, relatively few connections..and even my connection has periods when it does not perform as it should due to line problems or issues at my ISP.

However, if it is a big problem for those with slower set-ups...I have no great issues with removing what is perceived as unnecessary stuff.....but there will need to be a poll to decide what the majority thinks is unnecessary. :sorry:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Oddquine » Thu Jul 14, 2011 6:47 pm

mazzy wrote:If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

It is broken..........and I'm trying to fix it! :rolleye11: :mrgreen:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby dejavou » Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:48 pm

:sunglasses: you know you can do oh technical one :sunglasses:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby mazzy » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:26 am

technically broken maybe - but not in need of change per se
mazzy

Postby Anya » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:06 am

The forum loads for me like greased lightning (to coin a phrase), is it perhaps some computers that are slow, not enough memory, too much data stored?

Then again, I am on superior Macs :mrgreen:

I was looking at blogs and albums and sad to see just how many years Evie was ill, long before she got married and retired from work. When was she actually diagnosed, Oddie?
Anya

Postby Oddquine » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:51 pm

I don't know, Anya. When I first met up with her on Seniority many moons ago, she had known she had COPD for quite a while. That would have been about ten years or so ago.

Often wondered if there was something in her family, as both her parents died in their fifties.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby dita » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:15 pm

I have only just caught up with this thread, now after reading it to this point feel that everyone is happy with the site as it is and want our memory's of each other left as they are, we have quite a history between us and lots of sadness too.
I see George you came in Jan this year, most of us have been here much much longer than that. I love these :rolleye11: :sunglasses: :please:
dita

Postby george 45 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 6:14 pm

Ok dita I get it...new members are not welcome !
george 45

Postby Victors Mate » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:23 pm

george 45 wrote:Ok dita I get it...new members are not welcome !

No George not at all but there are some of us on here who have been together since the original forum run by Mik [Home Groan], Mik has now sadly passed away. There have been a succession of Forums with various names and yes we’ve had our fallings out, our trials and tribulations, our squabbles but the core of survivors are still here sadly we have many bereavements and sadness’s and we have supported each other at these times. So yes while we might seem unwilling to make changes and there are, for many of us, good reasons for this reluctance.

We know what we have here and we don’t want to let it go.
Victors Mate

Postby dita » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:41 pm

Thanks VM that is exactly what I meant, new members are always welcome and there has been quite a few who have stayed and enjoying the site for what it is. A little site which we are very proud of thanks to the dedication to Eve & Oddie.

Please do not twist words just to create a bit of havoc. George45
dita

Postby george 45 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:35 pm

dita wrote:I see George you came in Jan this year, most of us have been here much much longer than that.

Just what was I to understand by this remark then dita ?
And please do not make accusations such as this "Please do not twist words just to create a bit of havoc. George45"
....remember the Forum Rules, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS !
george 45

Postby dejavou » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:05 pm

FOR HEAVENS SAKE :tantrum2:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Oddquine » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:37 pm

george 45 wrote:
dita wrote:I see George you came in Jan this year, most of us have been here much much longer than that.

Just what was I to understand by this remark then dita ?
And please do not make accusations such as this "Please do not twist words just to create a bit of havoc. George45"
....remember the Forum Rules, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS !

It means exactly what it says, George. It means that the majority of members on this forum have been on it for years, not months, and if they were having problems with the way the forum was set up and working, they know very well that, over the years they just have to say something....and they have not.

The things you want to remove are to speed up the forum, but they will not improve the forum, except perhaps in your eyes because you will have made as you want it. Fast is not an improvement if there is nothing you liked left.

Your interpretation of dita's words so as to imply that we do not welcome new members could very well be construed as twisting, just as dita's response to that could well be construed as an insult. I tend to take posts in context and not as cherry picked parts out of a thread to make a point or an argument.

It is a pity you didn't think to frame your suggestion a shade more on the "I am finding the forum slow to load, what do you think can be done about it." and offer what irritates you as options to be removed. That way you may have come across as less "I know best" (because believe me, you don't know best) and would at least have ascertained the opinions of people other than yourself..and saved the arguments creeping into this thread.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Monika » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:11 pm

My two pennorth ................. I like the forum just the way it is.

(Half the trouble this country is in the sorry mess it is - is because we don't know how to leave well alone)
Monika

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions