Type 2 diabetes

For those of us with Diabetes Type 2

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:26 am

Many thanks for your PM, toolip, all help gratefully accepted. I know I am a little (!) confused at the moment but I also know it is just a case of settling down, accepting the facts and then getting on with it.

I'll let you know how I go on Monday and Tuesday at the clinic.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Lacemaker wrote:Many thanks for your PM, toolip, all help gratefully accepted. I know I am a little (!) confused at the moment but I also know it is just a case of settling down, accepting the facts and then getting on with it.

I'll let you know how I go on Monday and Tuesday at the clinic.

You have the right attitude, Hazel and good luck on Monday and Tuesday. :grouphug:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:59 am

I have seen the Educator this morning, received lots of advice, learnt how to test my blood sugar and been given an 'Accu-Chek' meter. I had been a little apprehensive about taking a blood sample but I didn't feel a thing. It seems to be very simple to use. I was supposed to see the dietician tomorrow morning but I have just received a telephone call to tell me that she has gone home sick and won't be at work for a few days so I will see her next week on the same day I see the Educator again. I have a better idea of what I can eat now and what to look for on various labels.

I think exercise is going to be the main problem for me .......

I got a shock to see that it costs $4 to park at the hospital ! (2 pounds 20p).
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:31 pm

Lacemaker wrote:I have seen the Educator this morning, received lots of advice, learnt how to test my blood sugar and been given an 'Accu-Chek' meter. I had been a little apprehensive about taking a blood sample but I didn't feel a thing. It seems to be very simple to use. I was supposed to see the dietician tomorrow morning but I have just received a telephone call to tell me that she has gone home sick and won't be at work for a few days so I will see her next week on the same day I see the Educator again. I have a better idea of what I can eat now and what to look for on various labels.

I think exercise is going to be the main problem for me .......

I got a shock to see that it costs $4 to park at the hospital ! (2 pounds 20p).

Something she ate, maybe?? :roflmao: :roflmao: :rolleye11: Seriously, Hazel, I am very pleased you were happy with your appointment and have been given the Accucheck. It is easy and you will find you will do it as a routine. I did not realise you were outside the UK (just noticed your avatar) I expect your care team will advise you about suitable excercise if you are able to do any. In the UK we have a referral scheme with the GP and I had 10 weeks free gym and I did lose some weight and gfelt good but it has expired. will see if I can wangle another one! :twisted:

good luck with the dietician and the educator.Let us know how you get on.

Toolip xx
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:39 am

Hi toolip, I thought that about the dietician, too. :roflmao:

I think I did my exercise trying to find the clinic yesterday morning, even some of the staff had to really think before they could tell me where it was ! I had parked in the first car park I saw and naturally it was the one furthest way from the clinic but this may be good thing. If I can find a parking spot out in a nearby street it may be even better.

There must be a similar scheme for the gym here, the Educator mentioned it yesterday, although it is subsidised instead of free. I have also been told to do what I can only describe as 'wall push ups' by placing my hands on a wall or cupboard door with my feet about 2 feet away from it and then pushing and relaxing. It fills in the short times when you are waiting for the microwave to ping. :mrgreen:

I went shopping this morning to stock up the cupboard and frig. so I now have a better selection of legal foods to choose from. I was surprised to see from the list I was given yesterday that fruit loaf is allowed - 1 slice equals 15 grams of carbohydrate equals 1 serve. I am not sure how it measures up to the UK allowance but I must have 3 serves of carbs. each for breakfast, lunch and dinner with 1 serve each for morning and afternoon tea and supper. I feel quite bloated at times since normally I have never bothered with morning and afternoon tea..

For once I was in the right place at the right time in the shopping centre. One of the book stores had a special on books - one was Glycemic Index Cooking Made Easy, written by two Australians and another The Sugar Solution, also about the GI Index but obviously American and while it does have recipes in it, it also has lots of advice on various other subjects to do with blood sugar, weight loss and exercise. At $5 each (2 pounds 75p) I thought they were a good buy. :thinking:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:20 pm

Hi Hazel

You seem to getting to grips with things quite quickly and your diabetes team seem good by asking you to do a finger prick test. I was told not to get paranoid about testing every few minutes all day and everyday. This is not neccessary and just do what the nurse says is a reasonable amount of testing. In the UK the desired mmols is below 10mmols and to aim for about 6mmols if possible but maybe this varies with surgeries but it should be the same guidelines but as you are in OZ then your mmols number may vary as a desired one to aim for. They will tell you.

Did you ask about Glucophage Slow Release tablets? Maybe you cant get this out there. May be worth asking.especially if you do not get on with Metformin. I can tolerate Glucophage SR tablet with no side effects like tummy upsets. Note that some tablets in the drug "family" (as its called here) can put on weight. One is a Glitazide. Not all the diabetes tablets make you gain weihgt but it's worth being aware. If you take advantage of the gym through a scheme go for it but check what you can do first in the way ofr excercise.

The GI diet is good as it is filling and will keep you feeling full for some time I have been told. We have a supermarket scheme her in the UK and Tesco do an online diet plan and so does the YOURS magazine on www.yoursdietclub.com I think this is the right web addy. I will check. It costs and you need to ensure you get good value for money. I am thinking of doing one for 12 weeks. cost in sterling £30. Not bad but I need to look intot this.

The books you mention sound good. Are you cutting out sugar? I did to start with and my weight dropped a lot but then weight loss is a symptom of diabetes 2. I do have suger but very little and I use sweeteners in tea. I eat a bowl of organic porridge for brekky with semi skimmed milk with fruit o top to sweeten it. Beware of some fruits they are natural sugar loaded. Dont go for these diabetic products. The UK steer away from these as they are expensive and a waste of time. :tantrum2:

Stay cool and do as you are doing. I hope your family gives you some support. My hubby is ok but I have to get on with it myself and the kids ask "How are you Mum with your diabetes?2 and I say OK. and that's that! :roll:

Bye for now

Toolip xx :grouphug:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:40 am

Hi toolip,

I have just arrived home from my latest visit to the clinic where I saw the Educator and the Dietician and I have been told to reduce the testing to twice day and to vary it - either before or after breakfast and either after lunch or after dinner - not the same time every day - and to aim for between 4 and 6 mmols. The reading this morning before breakfast was 9.3 so while there is still a way to go it is down from the initial 17.9 fasting level.

The slow release tablets are available here but since I haven't had any side effects with the Diaformin I was advised to stay on those. I have also been given details of the gym visits but I have to have a doctor's referral to take advantage of the reduced cost of these - $90 approx. $10 a visit. (roughly 55 p to the dollar at the moment).

I have had a lot of information given to me about the various foods I can eat and as the dietician said it is a matter of common sense and restraint - I can have chocklit but not a whole bar at once, fruit but not several pieces, bread and other carbohydrates but not more than 3 serves at breakfast lunch or dinner. I was shown a website that looks to be very good -
www.calorieking.com.au
This site gives the calorie, carbohydrate, fat, etc. values for a whole range of supermarket and take-away foods. To access the information on the food values of a huge range of foods click on Recipes, Articles & More and then on Browse Our Food Database in the drop down menu. This site is not just for diabetics but can be used for anyone wishing to lose weight. You can also have a diet created for you if you become a member of the site - this is free.

I haven't cut out sugar completely - I still have it in my tea but sometimes I only have 1 cup of tea a day. Depends on how I feel and how hot the weather is - yesterday it reached 35C and at the moment it is 38C inside the house and 33 outside so I will be heading for the air conditioned bedroom with a good book and a cold drink (water!) very soon. I was also told not to be pedantic about what I am eating - eg. a small tin of baked beans could be 100 grams in weight and the recommended serve 90 grams - the extra few grams is not worth worrying about.

I was with the educator for about 30 mins and with the dietician for nearly 90 mins and both have said that I am welcome to make another appointment to see them again at any time or even to 'phone - the dietician gave me her email address, too. I was advised to check the info. panel on foods frequently since what was once a 200 gram pack of yoghurt is now a 175 gram pack.

As far as support goes one daughter lives in Melbourne and the other is in the process of moving from a 20 minute drive from me to a 40 minute drive away so while they are often in touch with me I am mostly on my own.

Bye for now

Hazel xxx :sunglasses:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:18 pm

Hi Hazel

Thanks for the update. Pleased you are getting good advice especially about testing. We get tested in the UK for HBA1C and lipids and feet (podiatary) and retinopathy (eyes) It rally depends on the individual how strenuous you are with the finger prick tests. I personally think its important to maintain good suger levels but it is not easy for many.Testing as your team tell you keeps you on track To get yours down to 9mmols is really good as it was high at 17 to start with.
I have reached the stage where I just go from day to day aware of things but not over anxious. You sound on track and listening to your team.

4 to 6 mmols is a high target. I am usually about between 6mmols and 10 depending how naughty I am :roll: 38c Phew!! too hot for Tooilp!!! How long have you been in Oz?

TTFN :banana: :mrgreen:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 am

I came out here with my parents and sister in 1958 and I am so very glad we did. I love it out here even when it is as hot as it has been this summer. After seeing all the photos and postings about the snow in other countries it makes me appreciate the weather here even more.

If the temperature in winter drops below 14c here in Sydney we all complain like mad. :mrgreen:

After a week on the diet I have dropped 2 kg so I am looking forward to the next weigh in now. :banana:
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm

Hi! I need to lose about 7lbs and get my BMI of 23 back I am now 26. :roll: This is since Christmas!

The site you gave us, Hazel looks good and will have a browse. I asked my GP if I can have another referral to the gym and he siad he will try to get one for me. I had one lasyt year so I may coming it a bit! :rolleye11: :roflmao: This 10 week course was very good so fingers crossed. Its good to hear someone who likes their adopted country. So many dont and come back to the UK but its not the same here now so perhaps folk stay put. Its the heat and the insects and creepy crawlies that put me off Oz to be honest. :tantrum2:

Toolipxx
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:54 pm

It has been a hectic week or so here ! I have had my daughter with me from Melbourne for a few days and she was most helpful in encouraging me to stay within the diet.

My weight has dropped by another kilo and my blood sugar has been as low as 6.9 before breakfast one morning - my BMI is 30. I have been watching my diet but I think I am concentrating on the calorie value of the food too much instead of the recommended serves of carbs, etc. I have been pouring through the cook books looking for suitable recipes.

I don't know whether you can buy them in the UK but there is a series of cook books here by Annette Syms which lists the various elements of the recipes and - in the most recent 3 of them - whether or not they are suitable for diabetics. Having just done my grocery shopping and purchased the ingredients I will be trying this one out this weekend.

Homestead Chicken Pie (serves 6)

Filling
600 g chicken breasts
Cooking spray
1 medium sized onion
250 g mushrooms
1 1/2 cups skim milk
2 sachets cream of mushroom cup-a-soup (Continental)
2 sachets cream of chicken cup-a-soup (Continental)
2 tablespoons parsley - chopped.

Pie Top
1 tablespoon (5 g) Flora Light margarine
1/4 cup skim milk
1 egg white
1 cup SR Flour
Pinch of Salt.

Pie Filling
Cut chicken into bite sized pieces. Coat a large non-stick frypan with cooking spray, saute chicken for 3 minutes. Add onion and cook 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 2 minutes. Combine milk with soup mixes then pour into the pan. Stir in parsley, pepper to taste. Once mixture has boiled pour into casserole dish and leave to one side.

Pie Top
Melt margarine in micowave, add to milk and combine. Add egg white, beat with fork until blended. In a medium sized mixing bowl put flour and salt, pour in the milk mixture and combine. Turn onto a floured surface and roll out the dough to the size of the casserole dish. Using a rolling pin, roll up the pie top and lift onto top of filling. Trim edges and make into a decorative edge by by using the back of a fork or pinch edges with the tips of your fingers. Using a pastry brush, brush a little milk over the top. Bake 10 minutes (220c Fan forced oven) or until top is golden and cooked in the centre.

Lean rump steak, lean lamb leg steaks,lean veal leg steaks, butterfly pork steaks or 500 grams tofu may also be used.

Per Serve Chicken

Fat - total 4.2 g
saturated 1.0 g
Fibre 2.3 g
Protein 30.1 g
Carbs 22.4 g
Sugar 4.8 g
Sodium 348 mg
Kilojoules 1043
Calories 248
GI Rating Medium

I am thinking of making individual pies and freezing them for a quick meal later.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dejavou » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:01 am

You seem to be coping very well Lacey, I'm glad you're getting it under control.

The pie sounds very nice, look forward to trying it when I eventually get to Oz again :please:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby DaisyB » Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:02 am

So you've joined us diabetics Hazel, sorry to hear that. It sounds as if you are getting good care.
I started out on diet only treatment and lost quite a bit of weight. They tried me on Merformin but I cannot tolerate it in any form. I was on Gliclazide for some time, then they tried adding Roziglitazone - my weight soared with weeks. So now I am on insulin. I was on just once a day Lantus, slow release, insulin and then just before my hysterectomy in 2008 they also put me on Apidra mealtime insulin. Now I just cannot seem to loose weight. That's difficult especially when my hips and knees are playing up and exercise hurts.
At least my annual checks show me to be free of neuropathy, my sugar control could be a little better, but I have had slight bleeding in my eyes. I have my annual eye photography done in a couple of weeks time, I just hope there's been no more bleeding.
Anyway, good luck and don't let it get you down.
DaisyB

Postby toolip2 » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:01 pm

Hi Hazel. Well done you for being so vigilant. Keep up the good work! I like the recipe and will Gogle the lady you mention, annette Syms. My weight has crept up because of a Gliclazide pill and I am now a stone heavier and my waist is apple shape despite eating well and excercising mainly walking. My BMI is 26 and it was 23. I must try to get another referral from my GP.

DaisyB, hiya! :mrgreen: I am still on pills Glucophage and a Gliclazide. Insulin has not been suggested yet. My mmols are not bad. I fing it hard not eat treats and am naughty. I have to be really strict with myself. :groaner:

I have retinopathy neuropathy and podiatary and alls well at the moment. thank goodness. Iam also on a statin but only take one pill every other day adn it gives me awful headaches which I will not tolerate.

TTFN :grouphug:
toolip2

Postby DaisyB » Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:14 pm

I have refused to take statins Toolip. I have enough aches and pains without encouraging more. hehe.
I think I agree with my mother's adage, 'that she'd prefer a short happy life than a long miserable one'.
DaisyB

PreviousNext

Return to Diabetes Type 2