Type 2 diabetes

For those of us with Diabetes Type 2

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:39 pm

I think I agree with your mother, June !

Deja, any prospect of a trip yet ?

The link below is to Annette's website which has specific information for diabetics, a menu planner CD ROM (only until 1st May), a newsletter, a video of her making some Ripper Rissoles, plus a lot more. She is also on Twitter and Facebook.

http://www.symplytoogood.com.au/_produc ... ing_Spoons

Over the years my weight has been up and down like a yo-yo and since I am a born hoarder I have clothes in all sizes scattered through the wardrobes in the other bedrooms. I am still on 2 diaformin tablets a day although the educator thinks that the doctor will put me on 3 a day at my next appointment. It is so very hard to remember to take my tablets since this is the first permanent medication I have been prescribed. My mother was addicted to prescription drugs and I have always been totally against drugs of any kind - even headache pills. She would take 5 large valium plus 2 codeine before going to bed and then wake up to take more codeine in the middle of the night - and these were just 2 of the many medications she had.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:30 pm

Hi Daisy. I agree about these statins and they are being questioned as to the long term effects!! :tantrum2: My body is a temple...a temple of doom!!! :roll: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Your Mum was wise and I share her feelings about ones health. Whats the good of feeling like **** on pills and living to an old age? I would rather tek me chances and die feeling reasonable well!! :dunno: :roll:
toolip2

Postby toolip2 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:33 pm

Some diabetes tablets make one gain some weight and one of the drugs is a Gliclazide. You can always ask yoiur team which ones are possible weight gainers.

we are told to keep our weight in check yet prescribed meds that make you gain weight!!!! :tantrum2: :groaner: :dunno: :roll: :huffin:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:03 pm

I'm on Gliclazide at the moment. I've put on enough weight between them and the steroids lately.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:52 pm

This is the trouble, Rowan: putting on weight through medication!! :tantrum2:

There are certain "famlies" of diabetes tablets that do not make you gain weight but have side effects which they all do. Can't wei, eh? :roll:

I am now taking a cholesterol pill every other day as they give me awful headaches when i wake up and last all moring! See how it goes everyother day. I did tell my GP and he said you can only try this and hope the pill is just as effective. :thinking: :roll:
toolip2

Postby jollyjack » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:01 am

Can you be a little less strict with diet when you are on medication? I can't seem to work out which foods suit me at all. When I expect my reading to be up it is good and vice versa. The other day I took a reading 2 hrs after lunch and it was 15 a large drink of water and a 1 mile brisk walk later it was 8. The doc says they will keep tabs on my levels and that it is not necessary to test, but how can you be good if you don't know how you are being affected.
jollyjack

Postby toolip2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:23 pm

jollyjack wrote:Can you be a little less strict with diet when you are on medication? I can't seem to work out which foods suit me at all. When I expect my reading to be up it is good and vice versa. The other day I took a reading 2 hrs after lunch and it was 15 a large drink of water and a 1 mile brisk walk later it was 8. The doc says they will keep tabs on my levels and that it is not necessary to test, but how can you be good if you don't know how you are being affected.

[b]Have just seen your post, JJ. The answer to your question in my personal opinion and not to be taken as medical advice is that no you should not relax your diet because you are on medication. I know wht you mean though as I think the same thoughts. I am now on a tablet that reduces my sugar level a lot and I think "now...shall I have that exrta bikki or knob of chocolate or small cake"? Its easy to do this.

You can ask adietician and se what they say on the subject or the GP or nurse if you have a team. What did you have for lunch that day? White bread can shoot up the number. Granary bread is better, dunno why but it is. :roll: Walking or excercise after food usually reduces sugar levels.

I am amazed that your Gp tell you its not necessary to test!! This is crazy and a cost cutting ploy. Are you in the UK? The swing is now for people to test, not over test but regularly and the reason is to satisfy yourself that your number is on track as much as possible. My nurse likes to see my testing record when I go! My changed and many peolle want to test and should not be dincouraged or "bullied" by GPs not to test. Outrageous!

I test but only a few times a week and my levels are not too bad, this is how I know and it gives me confidence. Have a word with your team about this Jack and challenge them and be confident.
[/b]
Last edited by toolip2 on Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
toolip2

Postby toolip2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:24 pm

Jack, I can see you are in Scotland! Sorry, did not see your Union Jack! :roll: :groaner:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:58 am

I missed this one, too. I am the same as toolip. Personal opinion only keep watching the diet.

I saw my doctor last week and she told me to stay at two tests per day for the time being even though she was pleased with my readings. From the high of 20 just after I was diagnosed in February they have now dropped until this morning the reading was 5.4. They seem to vary between this and 10 or 11 later in the day.

I was over the moon this morning when I tried on an old blouse. The last time I wore it I had to wear it as a jacket even though I could do it up - just ! Today there was a good 4 inch clearance all around.

I have been following the diet and also writing everything down and so far I have dropped 6 kg. The weight came off quickly first of all but it has slowed down now - I am still losing but only 2 kg over the last 3/4 weeks. The recipes in those books I mentioned are good - I made some spring rolls last week with a value of just 88 calories and I now have a freezer full of ready prepared meals such as the chicken pie, bolognaise sauce, mushroom sauce, potato and leek soup, pumpkin soup, beef and veg. pie, etc. all made with low fat, low or medium GI foods. No excuse for buying take-a-ways. I have also bought myself a treadmill which I do use everyday. The paths around here are very rough and if there is anything to trip up over, I'm the one to do it !
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:17 pm

By testing your sugars is a sure way to check how things are going and how to deal with when it may shoot up. This trend telling people not to test at all is a way of cutting costs to the NHS with kits to use with the momitor. I bought mine years ago and its a good one; one that the clinics use. Ido not know hopw much they are these days but investing in one is the best thing I ever did.
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:10 am

My kit is an Accu-Chek and was given to me the first time I visited the Diabetic Clinic. The testing strips come from the NDSS (National Diabetes Services Scheme) at $1.10 (approx. 50 p) for 100 strips.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Rowan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:58 am

I bought my own, they don't issue them to us. I buy my strips online and they are £22.00 for 100 - the lancets are around £9 for 100.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am

That's expensive Rowan. I have to buy the lancets which are about $29.95 (I think) for 100. We do have to pay $65 per year to belong to the NDSS. I am able to get them at a cheaper price because I have a Health Concession Card.

Edited : I have just been checking my membership of the NDSS - the membership here is free but another organisation I belong to is the DANSW (Diabetes Australia-NSW) and this is the one that charges an annual membership fee. The testing strips are supplied at subsidised prices by the NDSS.
Last edited by Lacemaker on Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby jollyjack » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:49 am

I was given a meter at the beginning and prescribed lancets and test strips, doc said in January that I didn't need to test but I don't always do what I am told. I bought some strips from Ebay and have been testing twice a week mostly with good results, however, on Saturday I decided that I was going to get a handle on this and see what I can and can't eat. The only way to do that is to test 2 hrs after eating, I have eaten sensible diet, smaller portions and no sweet things and less carbs and my readings are all within 5-7 that is with 80mg twice a day of Gliclazide. I tested yesterday about 4hrs after eating instead of 2 and was 4.2 which made me feel a bit dizzy. The doctors and nurses seem to want you to be in control yet say that they will keep a check on your levels 3 monthly, with what consequences I wonder.
jollyjack

Postby toolip2 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 pm

jollyjack wrote:I was given a meter at the beginning and prescribed lancets and test strips, doc said in January that I didn't need to test but I don't always do what I am told. I bought some strips from Ebay and have been testing twice a week mostly with good results, however, on Saturday I decided that I was going to get a handle on this and see what I can and can't eat. The only way to do that is to test 2 hrs after eating, I have eaten sensible diet, smaller portions and no sweet things and less carbs and my readings are all within 5-7 that is with 80mg twice a day of Gliclazide. I tested yesterday about 4hrs after eating instead of 2 and was 4.2 which made me feel a bit dizzy. The doctors and nurses seem to want you to be in control yet say that they will keep a check on your levels 3 monthly, with what consequences I wonder.

Good for you getting the monitor. My tests strips are on the NHS I have never paid for them so are the lancets and last for ages. There is a momitor called TRUE ONE. I tried it but prefer my old one. TRUE ONe is handy size and good for people on insulin who need to check when they atre out and about.

Your GP needs to get with the times, JJ. Its all a case of cost to the NHS. :evil: Testing is recommended for many but one has to be careful not to test too much and get paranoid. If one is sensible and not over anxious then testing is a God-send, IMO.

Your Gliclazide dose is higher than mine. but then I am on Metformin too. I find the Gliclazide brings my sugrs down a lot and have to eat at lunch time otherwise I get dizzy and funny all over. :roll: :roflmao: The only thing I do not like about this drug is it's a weight gainer. Not alarmingly for me but I have put on half a stone sivnce starting it. I have been ill recently and lost 4 lb and trying not to regain it1 :huffin: :please: :roll:
toolip2

PreviousNext

Return to Diabetes Type 2