Type 2 diabetes

For those of us with Diabetes Type 2

Postby jollyjack » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:59 pm

I phoned for repeat prescription and got test strips and lancets today, doc hasn't really refused them he just said not to test last time I saw him. I got all the supplies I wanted when I was first diagnosed because I was receiving chemo. I haven't gained weight yet with meds and I have lost 3lbs since Saturday due to not eating so much. Once I have finished this little exercise I am doing I will make appointment to speak to doctor again I would like to control with diet and chuck the pills. I have to take the hormone tabs for breast cancer for another 4 years and apparently they can raise blood sugars too so it would be good if I could stop some of the meds.
jollyjack

Postby toolip2 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:31 pm

The less meds you need to take the better, IMO. I t depends on what conditions you have really. If you can control you sugars on diet alone that will be good. I could not manage this as I am far too greedy and bone idle to really get to grips with a serious foody check or diet. i do well as it is but could do better. :roll: :huffin:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:54 pm

Me too Toolip - love my grub I do!!

I was at the practice nurse for my yearly diabetic review and she has put test strips and lancets on my repeat prescrirptions - not bad, IO didn't know you couldget them on the NHS.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:42 am

On the Calorie King site they give you an initial weight to aim for and then when you have achieved that weight they take it down lower still and so on until you reach your ideal weight. My first target was to get down to 77 kgs.

I checked in today at 76.5 kgs - down from 85 kgs - 8 1/2 kgs or nearly 19 lbs off over about 10 weeks and my BMI is down from 31 to 28 with the mmols pretty constant at between 5.5 and 9 depending on the time of day. :banana:

My next target is 71 kgs.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dejavou » Sun Apr 18, 2010 2:14 pm

Well done Hazel, you'll look like a new woman soon :banana:
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby jollyjack » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

Well done Hazel are you being really strict or generally cutting down?
jollyjack

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks ladies. :mrgreen:

I am being real strict, JJ, weighing all my food and keeping a diary. It can be a pain at times but I know that if I don't then old habits will return.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:27 pm

I wish I could be so strict with my regimes :roll: Good for you! well done! :sunglasses:

I made an plum clafouti the other day and it was so scrummy I had some!!! because of my fall I wondered if my MMols would shoot up but they did not and I missed my meds one day. :roll:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:40 pm

I can always remember to take my meds in the morning but in the evening that is another matter ! I missed out on taking my blood sugars last night, too; I went to bed early to read a book and went to sleep. When I woke up it was 4 hours later and too late to test then.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon May 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Lacemaker wrote:I can always remember to take my meds in the morning but in the evening that is another matter ! I missed out on taking my blood sugars last night, too; I went to bed early to read a book and went to sleep. When I woke up it was 4 hours later and too late to test then.

I did not take my meds a couple of times and nothing drastic happenned. so I do not get too worried. You aere doing really well. good gfor you. The weather in OZ may be cooling down now? Better for sugar control perhaps.

Toolip xx
toolip2

Postby jollyjack » Thu May 13, 2010 9:56 pm

Was in Tenerife for 2 weeks and had very good readings, mostly under 6, despite indulging more than I do here. Can only put it down to the walking and swimming we did and maybe the lack of stress, although with my daughter being due her baby in 3 weeks time and flights being cancelled I wasn't exactly stress free, but we are home and she is still here.
jollyjack

Postby Rowan » Fri May 14, 2010 6:46 am

I'm so glad the holiday went well despite the stress - not long now though JJ! :grouphug:

I have this terrible craving for sweet things and in general just food = I think its the stopping smoking as well as the steroids. It is playing merry hell with the readings though! :rolleye11: :oops:
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Lacemaker » Sat May 15, 2010 1:33 am

The holiday will have one you good, JJ, even with the worry of your daughter. You would have been able to get home quickly if needed. Best wishes to your daughter for the delivery. :mrgreen:

At least there will be a benefit from no more smoking, Eve, and I hope the readings will soon settle down.

With all the stress you are under at the moment, toolip, how are your readings going ? Mine seem to have stabilized at between 4.5 and 7 and I have now lost 11 1/2 kgs - still going down with 6 1/2 kgs to go to a final target of 67 kg. My ideal weight is between 54 and 67 kgs but I will be happy with 67 ..... I'll see how I feel then !!!
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby jollyjack » Sat May 15, 2010 6:05 pm

Trouble was Hazel, that flights were being cancelled because of the problem with volcanic ash so might not have been easy to get back quickly. Flight on previous day didn't go and the one on the day after ours was cancelled too so we were lucky to get back with no hitches and a week later still no baby she is not due till June 1st but I couldn't help worrying.
You must be feeling quite deprived Eve, nae fags and nae sweeties, but you know what you have to do, keep at it.
jollyjack

Postby Rowan » Sat May 15, 2010 7:29 pm

I've been very bad today JJ - three fags and half a BIG cake of Cadburys!! I do feel quite sick now!!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Diabetes Type 2