Type 2 diabetes

For those of us with Diabetes Type 2

Type 2 diabetes

Postby jollyjack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:20 am

I noticed on another thread that Rowan has now been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I too have recently had tests for this but it's still not definite diagnosis because of the chemotherapy. Does anyone else on the forum suffer from this and perhaps would like to share tips on dealing with the problem.
jollyjack

Postby Monsy » Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:22 pm

I have had it for about 4 years now. I'm on Metformin and Candersartan. Had a bit of dizziness and feeling unwell at first, but am ok now.

All my tests come back as normal and my cholesterol is never higher than 3.2 which seems to amaze the doctor as I am a fat bugger.

I still have choklit now and then, usually just a bit from the wee one's stash, and if I fancy a cake or biscuit I have one.

I don't eat three times a day either, never have. Just make sure of breakfast as I presume my system will be low overnight.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby toolip2 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Hello JJ!

I am diabetes 2 and was diagnosed 5 years ago. I am tablets only and it's called Glucophage Slow Release (Metformin) I could not tolerate the other Metformin and since using the slow release do not have any nasty side effects like tummy upsets. all depends on the tolerance for some people. I am low tolerance! :huffin:

You may or may not know that Metformin is one of the many diabetes drug family and the only one as far as I know that is not weight gainer. My weight has remained stable all the while on Metformin.

Would Rowan consider a thread for diabetes on here? I belong to a forum that created one at the request of some members and its really very helpful and we all help one another. Perhaps it could be slotted in the general health "room"

I manage mine as well as I can but when first diagnosed I was shocked and scared but have settled into routine of a reasonably healthy food regime and some moderate excercise and no sugar but do endulge once in a while with cakes and a bikki and choklit; just normal choklit not the diabetic stuff which is not recommended. My cholesterol and BP are raised. :roll:

A good site to browse is www.diabetesuk.net. I have received lots of info and help with the charity.

I could go on more about how I deal with my condition but will wait for Rowan to hopefully create a thread for diabetes.
toolip2

Postby jollyjack » Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:56 pm

I have not been given medication am just eating a healthy diet and am averaging at 6 over the past few days. I am not quite convinced that the high sugar count I had was as a result of steroids I was given at the start of my chemotherapy. The cycle I am on now is tablets for 2 weeks and then 1 week off and my sugar level drops on that week. GP thinks I am diabetic and oncologist thinks we have to wait till chemo is finished. This is the last treatment so we will see how it goes.
jollyjack

Postby Rowan » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:43 pm

I'm in the same boat as JJ just now, being on steroids but I do take the Glucophage and have just been told to keep to the diet thing. I'm truly not a great sweetie hand or choklit either if truth be known but I do like my crisps!! I'll try and get this transfewrred to a proper Diabetes thread later on tonight.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:36 pm

I have had type 2 diabetes for about 11 years now. Started off as diet controlled, then tried Metformin, can't take it. Was on Glyclazide and then they tried the new slow release Metformin with it, still can't take it. They also tried Roziglitazone, but I gained half a stone in 6 weeks so quickly came off the.
So then I was taken off tablets and put on Lantus once a day insulin and then just before my hysterectomy last year the added mealtime insulin too, Apidra. So I have 10-12 units Apidra at mealtimes and 40 units Lantus before bed.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:50 pm

I tested this morning - after breakfast which I know I shouldn't but it was 20.7!!! I'm only on 1/2 a tablet and don't get checked by the practice nurse again until 26th March. It did seem pretty high though.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:01 pm

That is high, even for after a meal. The best times to test are before and two hours after a meal. That's what they did when I was in hospital.
Did you know that cinnamon is supposed to help lower your glucose levels? I've started having a sprinkling of cinnamon on my muesli every morning.

I also take Candesartan and Amlodipine for my high blood pressure.

I am currently suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome, which diabetics are prone to. I have been attending the local polyclinic where the physiotherapist has been trying acupuncture.... I don't think it's really helping....but he is a dishy you chap from Brisbane...so I'll have a few more sessions. hehe. The wrist splints worn at night do help though.
DaisyB

Postby jollyjack » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:03 pm

I am really interested to hear what kind of diet everyone has, and what sort of readings you get when taking medication. I was surprised to have a reading of 6.2 last Sunday morning after eating a fairly large fish supper on the Saturday night. I can't seem to establish a pattern at all.
What did you eat for breakfast Eve?
jollyjack

Postby Rowan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:17 am

I had an actimol, a banana and then a roll with bacon!! :roll:

I was wondering does anybody know where you can get refill strips and the little prickers!! (sorry)
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby jollyjack » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:35 am

Oops, banana seemingly raises sugar level and a roll with bacon is supposed to be a once a week thing, although it's ok to have fruit I was told to spread it out during the day. Have you been to see dietitian. I was with her the other day for about an hour and she answered a lot of questions I had on diet.
I was given meter, pricks and testing strips by the nurse and further supplies were given on prescription.
jollyjack

Postby DaisyB » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:38 am

You should get a prescription for test strips and lancets Eve, though some doctors ration them I've heard. Luckily mine doesn't.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:27 am

Well, I bought my own meter and you get some with them. I'll ask the nurse when I go next week. Truth is I'm not verfy sure what I'm doing just yet which is why I'm glad we've opened this forum.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby DaisyB » Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:24 pm

Eve, have you joined Diabetes UK yet. They send a magazine (bi monthly) which is very helpful.

http://www.diabetes.org.uk/

My monitor is an Accu Check Aviva from Roche. If the battery runs out they replace it free when I ring them. They also replace it with an updated model if I've had it a while.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 7:21 pm

Just gone to join now June
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Diabetes Type 2