My New Diabetes Meds

For those of us with Diabetes Type 2

My New Diabetes Meds

Postby toolip2 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:18 pm

I have changed my diabetes meds. after years of the same meds with one change about a year ago I am now taking one tablet called EUCREUS VILDAGLIPTIN. It is one of the drug family that does not increase weight, which one of the others I took did a Glitazone. I now take one in the morning and one with evening meal and the pill contains a balance of Metformin and another drug. No side effects so far. :roll:

I gained weight by nearly a stone :groaner: and asked my GP for a new pill. I researched the Net and found a few trhat I wanted to try and my GP agreed but said the one I wanted is expensive and NICE will not pay for them but he put in a request and it was granted. :roll: It seems medication is all about cost. People who have serious illnesses are not given the up to date meds and suffer and even die. I am pleased and relieved I got mine.

I am also taking yet another cholesterol pill. I have tried 5ive statins and they all had horrendous side effects that I stopped taking them GP said try CRESTOR 5 mg tablet. I have been on these for about 5 days and so far so good except for headaches in the morning that pass as the day wears on. statins are awful but do lower the numbers of cholesterol. :roll: :huffin:
toolip2

Postby Rowan » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:01 pm

I'm going to ask for that Toolip - I've put on a heap of weight with gliclazide. I'm ok on Lipitor statin
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby toolip2 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:45 pm

Rowan wrote:I'm going to ask for that Toolip - I've put on a heap of weight with gliclazide. I'm ok on Lipitor statin

May be worth a try, Eve. The Vildagliptin (Eucreas)I have been on only 8 days but it is keeping my sugar level under control better. I asked the GP if the balance of Metformon and the other ingredient combined together in the pill was well thought out and he looked it up on his screen and said yes. I hope you GP will push for it for you. I msut admit I take it upon mesen to look inot the drugs out there. I look on the www.netdoctor site and NHS direct also Diabetesuk (I never use american sites) .do write ups from time to time on diabetes drugs and what they do. Thats how I learned that Glitazones add weight :evil: amongst other sthat do too! :tantrum2:

I tried Lipitor and it gave me vile migrains every morning.:roll: :huffin: I am sick to the teeth of all the statins I have tried and hope the latest one I mentioned is going to be ok.
:roll:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:27 am

I hope the new medication continues to work well for you, toolip - I am so thankful that I have had no problems in that direction (touch wood !) I am on 2 diaformin tablets a day, one morning and night. Thankfully I do not have a problem with high cholesterol.

At my weigh in this morning I was 67.6 kg - I just hope that I can keep the weight off once I get down to 65 kg.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:47 pm

My BMI is 26 which is not too bad but I need to get down to 24/25. Its my waist that's the problem area, nowhere else.. :roll: :groaner: I am slim but my tummy is like an apple :roll: :roflmao: My HBA1C is good nurse said and my cholesterol have come doen with out drugs which aare one big :groaner:

I have made an appointment with he weight nurse at the surgery for Sept 1st. Pleased you are doing well Lacemaker.
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:34 am

Toolip, I have been subscribing to a magazine called Diabetic Living and in the July/August issue there was an article about getting rid of fat around the waist and hints on how to do it.

A study over six months showed that those who consumed 3 serves of dairy products (milk, yoghurt or cheese) per day as part of a low calorie diet lost approx. 70 % more weight and burnt more fat than those who were cutting calories by similar amount but who only ate one serve or less of dairy foods. They said that the calcium in dairy products increased the fat breakdown. They don't know why it works but they recommend it.

Another hint was to have a more Mediterranean type of diet by eating such foods as olives and olive oil, avocados, most nuts, seeds and natural nut butter at each meal. While those on the diet lost 33 % of visceral belly fat, their fasting blood glucose and insulin levels also fell. Reducing stress (and you have certainly had a lot of that lately !) and having good quality sleep also helped. Mono-unsaturated fats, low GI and lean protein foods are also recommended.

Another article in the same issue of the magazine stated that a doctor had found that of her patients who had Type 2 Diabetes, 62 % had a vitamin D deficiency - the lower the levels the higher their blood glucose - and when a group of women were put on vitamin D and calcium supplements to reduce the risk of bone fractures, there was an unexpected benefit - it improved their fasting blood glucose levels. It isn't clear whether lack of vitamin D is an underlying cause of Type 2 or not but investigations are going on.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:26 pm

This is very interesting and thank you for posting. The mag you mention: is it available in the UK I will Google it and see what comes up.

My new tablet Vildagliptin is very effective and no side effects and my levels ahve been 4 and 5 mmols when testing. This is good and I feel ok. I contacted the charity www.heartuk.org.uk or advice on statins and the lady was most helpful.

I have decided to speak to my GP about the statins and how often I need to take them. I am not taking any at the moment and have been advised to try Plant Stanols like Benecol and the drinks recommended. These are not cheap but do lower cholestertol when combined with a sensible food regime.

I wont let it beat me!

:banana:
toolip2

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:40 am

"I won't let it beat me !" Good for you, toolip.

I'm not sure whether you can buy the magazine in the UK newsagents or not but it is not available on International subscription. It looks as though a magazine of the same name is available from the USA but whether is is the same in content I don't know.

I googled the name 'Diabetic Living Magazine, Australia'. It is part of the Better Homes and Gardens group of magazines.
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby toolip2 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:55 pm

Thank you Lacemaker.
I will look about for it.
:grouphug:
toolip2

Return to Diabetes Type 2