Vets At Home.

Post your favourite pictures of your pet here.

Vets At Home.

Postby Maywalk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:20 pm

http://www.vets2home.co.uk/

What a fantastic idea.

If only we had something like this in the Leicestershire area.

Is it of any use to anyone out there?
Maywalk

Postby DaisyB » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:33 pm

That's our area Maisie, I see their van quite often. They advertise in our local paper too.
DaisyB

Postby Maywalk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:54 pm

I think its a great idea June.

I know with my own dog as soon as she gets anywhere near the vets door she sets her paws hard on the ground and its hell on earth to get her inside. :roll: :roll:

The prices they charge are no different to going to the vets here. :)

I only hope we get one in this area.
Maywalk

Postby Monsy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:06 pm

I was very touched last week. I took my wee Jaffa Gingerbits on her final journey. The vet was lovely. A young fellow, American or Canadian. He was very upset at my obvious distress, and was most kind.

A few days later he sent me a lovely card.

I think that is a smashing idea. I always thought it was very expensive for a home visit, but I would have felt a lot better if she had been at home.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:12 pm

Sorry to hear of your loss Monsy, that last journey to the vet is horrendous I know. We have our pets cremated at Raystede. http://www.raystede.org/
They have a little chapel across the road from the main site and they will either scatter the ashes in their garden or you can have the ashes back to bury in the garden, which we do. Dinah has a Eucalyptus tree planted over her ashes, Lala has an Abelia shrub, Lacey has a Sambucas Nigrans, Jack has a Hebe and Bigwig the rabbit (not his ashes) has a ginkgo biloba. Raystede send a memorial card which is lovely.
DaisyB

Postby Maywalk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:16 pm

Aaaaawwww SO sorry Monsy to read about your loss.

Its a terrible thing to have to do.

I agree it would be better at home and I like the reading on that website from the vet about this.
They sound very dedicated and caring.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:59 am

Max is okay going to the vet just now - he just loves the young female vet who attends to him. It might be an idea to see if they do something like that up here though too.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Maywalk » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:39 am

I certainly hope the idea catches on here Rowan.

My dog gets freaked out before she even gets inside the surgery door. :roll: :roll:

She evidently is not on her own by the looks of it, after talking to many who have pets.

I think its a great idea. ;)
Maywalk

Postby Monsy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:45 am

June,

The cost of having her put down, included a cremation and ashes scattered in a churchyard. I am a non-believer, but I found it oddly comforting........
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Sun Feb 12, 2006 11:58 am

It costs about £30 for a large dog at Raystede, plus the cost of a shrub Monsy, you don't have to have the ashes scattered there but anywhere you like. We just chose to bury the ashes in our garden.

It always strikes me as odd that Pet Insurances do not pay out for euthanasia but will continue to pay out for expensive drugs to keep a pet alive. I guess all the time the animal is alive you are still paying the premiums, but that doesn't make sense anyway, the cost of some drugs is very high. It's costing our insurance company £75 a month for Beth's heart drugs.
DaisyB

Postby Briber » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:58 pm

We had to have our 15year old collie cross put to sleep a few years ago, she hated the vets so much that I paid the extra for a home visit so she could go, at home, in my arms. Our 17 yr old Jack Russel was quite happy to visit the vets so I took her and cuddled her as she went to sleep.
Swore we would not have another, but now there's Ben. 16month of trouble.
briber
Briber

Postby dejavou » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:45 pm

DaisyB wrote:It always strikes me as odd that Pet Insurances do not pay out for euthanasia

I suppose that's because some people would just get rid of pets they were fed up of June, rather than the pets that really needed it
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby DaisyB » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:54 pm

But surely if a vet agrees that euthanasia is a kind option then the insurance companies should agree.
DaisyB

Postby dejavou » Mon Mar 13, 2006 8:59 pm

True but there are some unscrupulous vets out there too, I suppose the ideal way would be if the pet had been having treatment for some time
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Rowan » Mon Mar 13, 2006 9:58 pm

briber wrote:We had to have our 15year old collie cross put to sleep a few years ago, she hated the vets so much that I paid the extra for a home visit so she could go, at home, in my arms. Our 17 yr old Jack Russel was quite happy to visit the vets so I took her and cuddled her as she went to sleep.
Swore we would not have another, but now there's Ben. 16month of trouble.
briber

Yes Briber, I think we ALL swear that....and then one turns up that wins your heart!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pet Pics