Feel I Want To Share

Post your favourite pictures of your pet here.

Feel I Want To Share

Postby dita » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:04 pm

The last few years we have gradually enticed these Greater Spotted Woodpeckers into our lives, now they quite happily feed in our backyard and also feed their young on the top of our little Aviary. They have now even decided to make their home in one of the big trees at the bottom of the garden, I suppose they can keep their eye on us from there, the tapping on the trees are I believe also a territorial thing besides calling for mates and tapping for insects etc: it does sound very eerie at times. Of course they do live in the hollow of trees too and do quite alot of DIY.
dita

Postby DaisyB » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Lucky you Dita, lovely photo
DaisyB

Postby Monsy » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:20 pm

Oh! you lucky thing, dita!

I have never seen one........

They are pretty, aren't they?
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Rowan » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:32 pm

They are pretty but I would be terrified to be that close to one!! :hide:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Emm » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:33 pm

Yes - lucky thing, you.
There were quite a few in the woods by our caravan park, but I was never fortunate enough to get a photo of one.
Emm

Postby dita » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:22 pm

They are really timid and it has taken a lot of coaxing and patience to get them here. We also get the lesser-spotted one, and green woodpeckers, not been able to get a picture though. Will try to down-size a couple more birds not seen very often. I think the colours look tropical, quite bright too for this country.
dita

Postby Maywalk » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:41 pm

Well Done Dee.

Great photo. Your patience has been rewarded.
Maywalk

Postby twinsmum » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Good picture that's a female sometimes they come to the nuts in our garden but we have never had a lesser spotted or a green woodpecker you are lucky one of the girls spotted a male bullfinch at the feeders on Saturday her reaction was wow look at that bird they are striking the first time ever we have many Siskins they are coming for Thistle seed near went through a full feeder today :sunglasses:
twinsmum

Postby dita » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:17 am

Yes we are getting the Siskins at the moment, also lots of long-tailed tits. Trouble is they are so timid it is hard to catch a picture. Lots of Chaffinch, Green Finch, Bull Finch, Gold Finch, Blue Tits, Great Tits. Plus The Kestral, never far away, he sits there in the tree then dives on his prey with such speed, had a pigeon or two off mine and next doors lawn. Also he has a good feast on the Blackbird and Thrush because they tend to be too busy looking where to nest at this time of year.
dita

Postby twinsmum » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:27 pm

:thinking: dita are you sure its a Kestrel as they normally hover then dive, it could be a sparrowhawk we had one round here for ages that would sit on next doors fence,only seen it once recently
twinsmum

Postby dita » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:06 pm

It is a Kestral, and I do know what you mean about hovering, however there is no need here as we all feed the birds, they are quite tame and easy pickings for Kes. There is more than one kestral lives around here, they very often have fights with each other up and down the high street. I took a photo of one sat just outside my house, it is only a norm camera without a zoom, will try and scan then put it on here. Here is another photo mean-while. Is it a Willow or Marsh Tit ?????
dita

Postby dita » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:10 pm

Forgot to Attach :sorry: :tantrum2:
dita

Postby dita » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:45 pm

Just spent a while trying to transform this pinpoint view of one of the kestrals as it sat on pole outside my house, hope you can at least recognise it as what it is, just sorry it is not clearer, birds do seem to be very naughty at posing when you want them.
dita

Postby dita » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:33 am

Guess I am not really doing what the thread say's, these are not exactly PETS. Do hope I have not offended anyone. :sorry: I am still trying to take a photo of the long-tailed tit, they are there one minute but by the time I have picked up the camera just see their long tales as they fly off.
dita

Postby Rowan » Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:33 am

If you feed them and do something to take care of them...they're pets!! :mrgreen:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Next

Return to Pet Pics