Vet Fees

Post your favourite pictures of your pet here.

Vet Fees

Postby Maywalk » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:13 am

I had to take my dog to the vet yesterday because I found a nasty red raw patch in what we call our armpit.
I thought at first it was the mange but evidently its some sort of plant that is causing it.
With her belly being so low to the ground it rubs against various plants when walking her along the green belt with thick hedgerows either side.

I was in there for less than ten minutes and it cost me £61-75 for antibiotics and a special shampoo to bathe her in.

Not bad going is it? :shock: :shock:
Maywalk

Postby Pam » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:30 pm

It isn't long since I had to take Bonnie for something similar. She was scratching like mad and I couldn't understand it because she takes flea prevention tablets. Took her to the vet and she said that it could be an allergy to something in the fields or she could have been bitten by something other than fleas. Ended up getting extra flea prevention drops and anti-biotic injection. Kept her away from the fields for a couple of weeks until it cleared up. She has been fine since, think that cost me around forty pounds. Not quite as bad as your bill!! Just had a card through the door this morning to remind me that it is time she had her worm treatment!! :?
Pam

Re: Vet Fees

Postby Emm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:40 pm

Maywalk wrote:I was in there for less than ten minutes and it cost me £61-75 for antibiotics and a special shampoo to bathe her in.

Not bad going is it? :shock: :shock:

Just a fraction of that is the medication cost. The big majority is consultation fee.
I am not saying he was expensive, but - when I was with my previous vet, every time I had finished going to him, he would go away on holiday.
:(

I do hope the medication is working, Maywalk.
Emm

Postby Granny Eve » Wed Sep 07, 2005 7:57 pm

I recently had my old dog put to sleep. The vet sent me a lovely "sympathy" card and I have never had an account for the service.
Granny Eve

Postby Emm » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog, Granny.
How nice of them to send a card.
If this happened less than a couple of months ago, then you should get a bill pretty soon.

One of our dogs took ill while we were on holiday in Scotland.
I chased the vet up for over two months, to get him to send us his bill.
It was the cheapest vet bill we ever had - and it was two 'home visits'.
Emm

Postby Maywalk » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:04 pm

She is a bit subdued with the antibiotics Emm.
Its bloody murder to try and get her to lie down on her back when I want to lather her in the shampoo :roll: :roll: :roll:

She has to lie with it on for 15 minutes and my fingers ache with tickling her belly to make her stay on her back. :evil: :evil: :evil:
It then has to be all washed off with clean water.
I am hoping it does the job.

I have a fortnights antibiotics for her.
That too is a performance to get it down her so I am now crushing it and putting it in her food. :twisted: :twisted:

Granny Eve
Did the vet keep your dog? Or did you have the poor soul put to sleep in your home?

Cheers Maywalk.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:39 pm

My vet isn't too bad at all. Max actually doesn't mind going.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Granny Eve » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:50 pm

The vet came to my home to put her to sleep because we were an hours drive away and she always hated the trip and had to be sedated for it. She is laying under a clump of daffodils in the paddock where she used to play as a pup.
It was six weeks ago and always previously I have had an account within a week.
Granny Eve

Postby Maywalk » Wed Sep 07, 2005 10:03 pm

SO VERY SORRY Granny Eve.
Its a hard thing to have to bear when one of our canine friends are no longer with us.

Each animal friend we have in our lives leaves a paw print on our hearts.
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:46 am

That's for sure Maisie - every single one has their own special place in your memories.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:45 pm

Sorry to hear about your dog granny.

Dont get me started on vet fee's....suffice to say that in my next life I am coming back as either a vet or a dentist.

Most of the treatment you get from the vet cost just a few pounds, its their mark up that does the damage. Example..steroids £67.50 from our vet.....private prescription £7.50 from Boots. I could go on but you get the idea.

There are moves to get pricing for vets sorted out but they are resisting the move. You can get a prescription from your vet and shop around for the medication, its a whole lot cheaper. Vets try and talk people out of doing this but legally they cannot refuse.

What some do is tell you to bring the animal back in three months for a further examination so they get more money out of you this way. Sort of ask for a prescription would you well I can con you other ways.
Steve

Postby Emm » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:19 pm

When I had our two in for their booster, I was told that the little one has a very slight heart murmer and to take her back in six months.
Yet the boss of the practice told me on a previous visit that Cassie is getting arthritis - and to give her Glucosamine from the Health shops - as they sell it cheaper than he buys it in.
Emm

Postby dejavou » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:54 pm

My daughter gives her old fat Jack Russell Glucosamine for her arthritis too, seems to works OK
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Emm » Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:13 pm

Our little one has been on it for years - and she's still going strong.
Emm

Postby Pam » Sat Sep 24, 2005 11:27 am

Well this last week has been an expensive one!! Four hundred and forty pounds.... :shock: My dog was poorly last weekend, too long a tale to go into now, but I thought that I was about to lose her. Took her to the vet Monday morning and she has had x-rays, blood tests, e.c.g. The vet had difficulty hearing her heartbeat! Her blood pressure was very very low. Finally the diagnosis was made and she has Addison's disease, something to do with the adrenal glands. She was put on a drip for 2 days and yesterday was given a steroid injection and some tablets. She has perked up a lot and my job now is to try and get her weight back up to normal. I have to take her back next week to get her electrolytes tested again. She will be on tablets permanently but should be able to lead an active life.

Apparently it is a difficult disease to diagnose and I must say that my vet has been brilliant if expensive!! My sons have insisted on paying though. :)
Pam

Next

Return to Pet Pics