A Word Of Warning.

Tell us about your pet here

A Word Of Warning.

Postby Maywalk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:53 pm

Whatever you do NEVER let your dog eat sultanas or currants or raisins
They are highly toxic to a dogs system and if not taken to the vet right away after consuming either or both of these they can die.

I have just been reading the Dogs Today magazine and it tells you about it in there.

As it is coming up to Christmas with much dried fruit being used for Christmas puddings an accident could easily happen.
Better to be safe than sorry.

God Bless All.
Maywalk

Postby Pam » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:56 pm

Thanks Maisie, I knew about chocolate being harmful to dogs but not about the sultanas, currants and raisins!
Pam

Postby Maywalk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:02 pm

Even grapes are not good for them Pam.

Todays dogs are not like they were 50 years ago because of the interbreeding of them.
Their immunity system seems very weak now to the mutts we reared years ago that would and could eat anything that was going.
No posh food for them then. They ate what we ate.

Cheers Maisie.
Maywalk

Postby Emm » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:34 pm

And they were healthier for it.

Thanks for that info. Maywalk. I had heard about that - but of course had forgotten!!!
If we are having scones, we usually give the girls a piece - oops.
Emm

Postby Rowan » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:17 pm

Yes me too. Actually was talking to a woman I know about Max and she said she had a dog when they lived in Africa who had a similar problem and their vet had said to cut down the protein the dog got. They did so and the dog was a bit better. Eventually they had to taske him off primary protein altogether and he got totally better. Apparently the dog could not metabolise the protein properly as it got older and I am wondering now whether I should try this. Will wait till I hear from the vet though - but am not keen on shoving even more medication down Max - I would be happier if it was more natural. I could try soya and veg and oats and stuff.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:55 am

Rowan wrote: I could try soya and veg and oats and stuff.

You better get a gas mask as well!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby dejavou » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:05 am

Takes your pick

dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Emm » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:16 pm

A lot of vets recommend Chappie.
My two have been on that for years now.
Emm

Postby dita » Wed Nov 16, 2005 4:01 pm

Sophie Has dried food and plenty of water, Beta the product. She does have the occasional tit bit of fish & meat also cheese when we are eating it as we save her a bit. My other dogs ate soft food, their teeth suffered but Sophie's are perfect.
dita

Postby Rowan » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Well my Maxi has been pretty miserable and down in the mouith lately. Night before last something strange happened, I heard this weird crunching noise in the middle of the night - it was Max, eating a RAW potato!! He must have found it under the kitchen cupboard - I had dropped a pack of new potatoes earlier that day. After he had eaten the potato he appeared to be quite happy and wanted to play!! So I gave him another one...and he has had two every day - three today and you wouldn't believe the change in the way he is - he still has his scabby skin and all flakey - BUT he is as happy as larry, wanting to play and believe me - he can indicate to me EXACTLY what he wants - his raw tattie!! I am going to ask the vet about this. Still no results back btw - maybe I got mixed up and it is THIS Friday or Saturday!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby dejavou » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:50 pm

That's good news Rowan .... and a cheap solution too, if it continues to work
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby DaisyB » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:08 pm

Jack, our last standard poodle had to go on a prescription low protein diet, a costly business. This was because he had bladder stones and had to have an operation to remove them.
As Beth is now on a salt free diet we feed both of them (her and Jovi) with a little wholemeal mixer and raw beef or green tripe (boy it stinks) with some cooked and roughly blitzed vegetables. They love this far more than the dry complete feed that they used to have.
DaisyB

Postby Emm » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:13 pm

This Friday or Saturday would be more like it, Rowan.
So pleased to hear that Max is seeming to be better.
Emm

Return to Favourite Pet Story