Be careful with medication

Tell us about your pet here

Be careful with medication

Postby Emm » Wed May 04, 2005 2:46 pm

Cassie, my whippet, had been limping for a while. So I took her to the vet, who diagnosed a swollen tendon, and put her on medicine for a month.
All went well for ten days - then she started being sick. and had diarhea.
I immediately rang the vets, and took her in.
Apparently she was bleeding internally.
If not attended to straight away, it could have been fatal.

And it was all my fault.
Three days previously, I had decided to put Cassie on Evening Primrose Oil Capsules.
They had been too greasy - and had caused the problem.
She was put on three different pills and medicine, which she had to have one of, every hour for about six days.

Fortunately, she is fine again now.
Emm

Postby Rowan » Wed May 04, 2005 3:27 pm

I had better be careful then, I give Max two a day to help with his arthritis.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Maywalk » Wed May 04, 2005 3:41 pm

Aaaaawww Emm,
Dont blame yourself you are not to know.

Thank goodness you found out in time.

I have my dog on Vet Vits that I send for from Jersey.
They contain Glucosamine and Chondroitin to help maintain overall joint mobility.
They are £9-90 for 240 tablets and I just give her one a day.

[right]Image[/right]
Maywalk

Postby DaisyB » Wed May 04, 2005 5:27 pm

My dogs are on Glucosamine and Chondroitin too. I also give the halibut oil capsules in winter.
Cassie looks a beauthiful dog Emm.
DaisyB

Postby Granny Eve » Thu May 05, 2005 8:22 am

I have a sad dog story that really is all my fault. My old girl (14 yrs) has always had a fascination with the dew claws on her back feet so when she seemed to be paying them more attention than usual I didn't take a lot of notice. There were other things going on like hospital tests and I just didn't give her the attention she deserves until I noticed that they were swollen. When I looked I found that the claws had grown right round and back in. I was horrified that I could have let that happen. A visit to the vet yesterday has made us both feel a lot better and it will certainly never happen again. I had never heard of it before so it just wasn't something I thought of.
Granny Eve

Postby Emm » Thu May 05, 2005 2:54 pm

This can be a problem with dew claws, of course they do not touch the ground for the nails to get worn down like the nails on the feet.
You really were lucky there, Eve, infection could have set in, and caused endless problems.
Cassie, bites her nails - well all but one of them, and I just can't fathom out why she never touches that one particular nail.

Our little dog has been on Glucosamine for years - she has dodgy knees!!!!
Emm

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 05, 2005 5:27 pm

My standard poodles had their dew claws remove shortly after birth. When a commented to the daxie breeder that I was surprised to see that the daxies still had their dew claws she nearly blew her top. Daxies never ever have their dew claws removed. Beth's have to be trimmed quite regularly, but Jovi's don't grow so fast.
DaisyB

Postby Emm » Thu May 05, 2005 5:50 pm

Personally, I am a firm believer in dew claws being removed. Most Poodle breeders have them done - well the reputable ones.
The claws do not serve any purpose, and can cause bad injuries.
Dogs usually have the claws removed when they get their tails docked - at a few days of age. That is why you usually find that long tailed dogs still have their dew claws on.
:roll:
Emm

Return to Favourite Pet Story