Tail Docking

Tell us about your pet here

Tail Docking

Postby Emm » Tue May 24, 2005 2:05 pm

A dog's tail, is in actual fact a fifth limb, and which it uses for communication.
Tail docking is mostly carried out for cosmetic purposes.
Emm

Postby Emm » Thu May 26, 2005 2:47 pm

A few years ago, I was talking to a lady who had a Yorkshire Terrier. She thought her dog had been born with a short tail!!!!
Emm

Postby Rowan » Thu May 26, 2005 4:54 pm

I think its an appalling custom. I thought vets were totally against that now and wouldn't do it.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Thu May 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Didn't they used to tie an elastic band very tightly round the tail, then the stump died and dropped off?

I must admit, I think a boxer dog would look strange with a long tail.
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby DaisyB » Thu May 26, 2005 5:39 pm

The breeder of my standard poodles had a special tool like large nail clippers and docked their tails at four days old. Barbaric. Though I do find it strange seeing poodles with long tails.
DaisyB

Postby Emm » Thu May 26, 2005 9:40 pm

People think certain breeds look odd with long tails, because they have always been used to seeing them short.
Someone near me has two long tailed boxers - and they look lovely. As do two Yorkies, which someone else has.

Some vets still dock tails, because they say they would rather do it under clinical conditions, than have people mess about doing it themselves, and probably do more damage.
Emm

Postby Steve » Thu May 26, 2005 10:24 pm

I am with you one this one Emm. Although I have a dog with his tailed docked I would have had him with a tail.

Its for the Kennel club to put a stop to people showing dogs with docked tails and that would solve the problem.

by the by I like your signature........no ones taking the pudding out of our Emm.
Steve

Postby Maywalk » Sat May 28, 2005 3:11 pm

With you 150% on this because a dogs tail is the one main feature that shows its pleasure or displeasure.
What is BETTER than a lovely tail wagging to greet you :?: :?:

Or for it to act as a danger signal.
Which in my own dogs case results in her tail going right down between her legs if she sees someone or something she does not know or like.
Maywalk

Return to Favourite Pet Story