Once upon a midnight dreary...

Tell us about your pet here

Once upon a midnight dreary...

Postby megra » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:53 am

...while I pondered, weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore—
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping...

It was around one o'clock this morning, actually, and I was watching TV. But I did hear

...some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
‘’Tis some visitor,’ I muttered, ‘tapping at my chamber door—
Only this and nothing more.’

Tapping? More the sound of small cat throwing herself against the back door accompanied by urgent yowls. Normally, I'd ignore her attempts to wheedle her way back in once she's gorn orf on her nightly prowl but it was raining and her yowls were so urgent I thought maybe the hounds of hell were on her tail. So, I relented. I opened up and she shot through the gap like a furry bullet, screeched to a halt in the middle of my sitting room shook herself, yowled (again), sat and stared up at me.

It was only then I saw that she wasn't alone. She had deposited a very dead mouse on the floor at my feet. Now I know I'm a newbie when it comes to the whole pet thing but I did suspect that this was probably an enormous honour that was being accorded me and I might hurt madam's feelings if I had conniptions or hysterics. So, pretending a calm I didn't feel, I walked slowly to the sofa, sat and smiled at the said cat. I even managed to say, "Good cat!" and sound as though I meant it. I did however, mutter under my breath instructions to self to stay calm and worry about the cadaver later.

Later didn't happen. Thingy was a bit confused at first. She didn't seem to know if I had given this present quite enough enthusiasm and I suspect (yeeeuw) that she was holding back because I was expected to eat the offering. Patience not being her strongpoint, she gave up the niceties of cat etiquette very quickly and proceeded to eat the mouse herself. There was much tearing of flesh and crunching of bones and I'm thinking, "OK, we're calm. We'll worry about the remains later. Just ignore what's going on." For a small wee critter with small wee bones, the crunching was just too difficult to ignore but inside of 30 seconds, Thingy had eaten everything: tail, bones, whiskers, everything.

This is too much unexpected excitement for one night I think. Sorry, I've got to go. Thingy is yowling at me and attempting to climb up my clothing. I better try and work out what she wants now.

[Apologies to those who've already seen this in another place. As you had a section dedicated to pets, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to use it]
megra

Postby widget » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:24 am

Ah she love's you :rolleye11:
widget

Postby Lacemaker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:25 am

She's probably asking for dessert.......... :mrgreen:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby Maywalk » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:45 am

Its as well it was a real mouse Megra and not the one attached to your computer or else you would not have been able to tell us about Thingy. :mrgreen:
Maywalk

Postby Rowan » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:01 pm

I never managed to work out whether the mouse/bird was a gift or whether they just expected to be praised for their excellence in hunting!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:46 pm

You're lucky! My Jaffa Gingerbits used to leave the head!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby megra » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:50 pm

Maywalk wrote:Its as well it was a real mouse Megra and not the one attached to your computer or else you would not have been able to tell us about Thingy. :mrgreen:

Being exceedingly old and a bit arthritic, she is not an animal to leap about or up on things much. If she wants to go on the sofa, she'll think about it long and hard before attempting it. She certainly couldn't make it up to a desk. Just a few minutes ago, I had to lift her onto the sofa. Her indecision was killing me and it was obvious that's where she wanted to be. Of course, she was outraged at the indignity of being (wo)manhandled and tried to look affronted from the comfort of upholstery but it wasn't working so she gave it up as a bad job and settled down for a post prandial nap.
megra

Postby mazzy » Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:02 pm

That was such a lovely story - made me smile. You were lucky that she ate it all - saved you the trouble of clearing up after her.
mazzy

Postby twinsmum » Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:37 pm

:roll: At least it was dead, I can remember Denise flat on her belly, her head under the sideboard trying to catch a mouse Blacky our then cat had brought in, happy days
twinsmum

Return to Favourite Pet Story