Bliddy Fleas

Tell us about your pet here

Bliddy Fleas

Postby Rowan » Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:26 pm

Max was rolling about the floor today biting himself and IO thought it was just his skin complaint making him itch, so I checked him and what did I see - bliddy fleas!!

Davy got dispatched to Sainsburys to get something to fumigate the house and Max's bed - some flea shampoo and stuff to keep them at bay. Max got a bath and he is now much more comfortable but everybody else is itching madly - not with fleas - with the thought of them!!

I wasn't sure what else to do and I phoend one of the women from work and she said tyhat she used garlic because apparently fleas don't like garlic - so....not having any proper garlic because I rarely cook, I put powdered garlic all over Max's coat and I am hoping that will keep them at bay (also the flea stuff from the chemist).

Does anybody know if that is true about the garlic - Max is stinking by the way - he thinks he's an italian dog now!!
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Monsy » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:51 am

Get these garlic capsules (the golden ones filled with oil) and put them in his food. The oil will be good for his coat and the fleas won't like the taste of him!

I always gave them to my dog and she never had fleas. The cats however, are a different matter!
Monsy
Silly B

Location: headquarters of the mobility scooter ankle bashing training centre

Postby Rowan » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:21 am

Will be getting some today!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Emm » Mon Sep 19, 2005 5:28 pm

Yes, I have heard that garlic keeps fleas at bay.
Never tried it though.
Emm

Postby Maywalk » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:29 pm

Get the odourless garlic capsules Rowan.

Just take a capsule out of the bottle for about 30 minutes before sticking a pin in it to squeeze the garlic juice over your dogs first meal of the day.
It will soften the outer layer better if you remember to take it out of the bottle

I never use the flea stuff on my dog because she is allergic to it like she is a certain plant that catches her belly as she walks through the grass.
Just had her on antibiotics for the plant allergy with a special shampoo from the vets costing about £6 a bottle.

Vets will laugh at you if you say that you give your dog garlic to allay fleas but DONT let the buggers put you off.
Its an old remedy and a good one but make sure you give your dog a good brush down every day.

Cheers Maisie.
Maywalk

Postby Monsy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:51 am

They also say that bathing them in Avon Skin-so-soft bubble bath works.
Monsy
Silly B

Postby Rowan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:37 pm

Oh I've got that Monsy - will try that too.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Oddquine » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:43 am

Seems to be a lot of it about just now,Rowan. The daughter is plagued with them, and with two dogs and two cats, and not knowing which is bringing them in, she's about demented.

I think she's tried every remedy known to man, but I'm going down tomorrow, and I'll tell her about the garlic.

I hope I don't bring any little visitors back with me!
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Monsy » Wed Sep 21, 2005 9:35 am

Take your clothes off on the doorstep Oddie - I wouldn't risk it :twisted:
Monsy
Silly B

Postby DaisyB » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:30 pm

We use Frontline, have only seen one flea this year. Fleas usually go hand in hand with tapeworms too.
Nuvan Top is what we used to spray the carpets etc. Haven't had to use it for years though.
DaisyB

Postby Rowan » Wed Sep 21, 2005 6:58 pm

I'm going to the vet anyway on Saturday and will get anything else I may need. I think its just me being extra scratchy because I know he HAD fleas!! I am reeking of garlic myself now!!
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Steve » Tue Sep 27, 2005 4:16 pm

Emm wrote:Yes, I have heard that garlic keeps fleas at bay.
Never tried it though.

sure keeps Mons away does the garlic.

Sorry to see your daughter is plagued with them Oddie!!!! :lol: Did the dog get them from her ???? ;)

As for you Rowan DEAR....keep your fleas down your own end as I do not want my Kito scratching away......course his fleas would be pedigree.
Steve

Postby dejavou » Tue Sep 27, 2005 5:19 pm

Cin NuvanStaKill is brilliant for treating the carpets and furnishings in the house, you can only get it from the vet, which means it's pricey of course!!!!
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Briber » Tue Mar 14, 2006 7:28 pm

Get ours from the vets. advantage, put it on the back of his neck and lasts for a month. I particularly like it as it also keeps ticks away and when we go in the woods there are always a lot of them, pesky devils.
briber
Briber

Postby Dragon Lady » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:08 pm

Garlic is also supposed to ward off evil spirits! :mrgreen: Mind you, the smell of garlic will probably ward off everything and everybody! :rolleye11:
Dragon Lady
Honorary Member

Next

Return to Favourite Pet Story