New girl...(shuffles shyly in, eyes modestly downcast)

Please introduce yourself here.

New girl...(shuffles shyly in, eyes modestly downcast)

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi, everybody - Nah, that subject line's not really true but I couldn't think of a better title. There's not much shy about me although some people have said I've a lot to be shy about! Huh. :huffin:

I was told about this forum by Lacemaker - thanks, Old Girl. That's not me being rude by the way; we're both Old Girls of the same school. I don't always have a lot of time to contribute to forums (or fora? Are we being pedantic here?) but I shall probably dip in and out several times a week and who knows what I might find to say.

To introduce myself properly: I'm a woman-of-a-certain-age; officially "retired" (horrible term, always sounds like you've given up on life!) but I do a little freelance writing and editing. I've previously been a conference/event organiser, a hotel chambermaid, petrol pump attendant, office manager, writer of advertising copy and I've worked in a variety of roles in a local radio station. People tell me I'm bonkers but that's OK because I'd get bored being "normal". I live in that strange netherworld known as Metropolitan Essex with my long-suffering spouse and a very managerial tabby cat called Lucy.

Look forward to getting to know everyone in due course
Andere Richtingen

Re: New girl...(shuffles shyly in, eyes modestly downcast)

Postby Corrie » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:06 pm

Big Welcome from me !
Corrie

Postby ciderman_nz » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:47 pm

Civilisation is a veneer, easily soluble in alcohol.
ciderman_nz

Postby Lacemaker » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:50 pm

A big welcome from me, too, Helen. Glad to see you made it here. :welcome1: :sunglasses:
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby dejavou » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Welcome Helen, as Lacey has an impeccable taste in friends, I'm sure you'll settle in nicely under our lovely Rowan Tree, it can be a little quiet here at times, but we only have a small membership who are all lovely people ...... as a word of caution, watch out for that Steve, he belongs to Monsy and she's very territorial hehehe
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby vannin » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:16 pm

Welcome Helen, good to have you join us. I hope you will enjoy being here. :trink:

Viv
vannin

Postby mazzy » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:14 am

Hello, and welcome from me - hope you enjoy our special place.
mazzy

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Hello again and thank you all for your friendly welcome. I'm sitting in front of my PC because it's damp and misty and 'orrible and I don't want to go outside. Don't think those photos I mentioned on another thread will get taken today; if it's avoidable, I don't go out in weather that makes my hair go curly! :roll:
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:36 pm

Welcome Andere from me too. Have you ever been to Lincs?
Looking forward to your posts.
dita

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:17 pm

dita wrote:Welcome Andere from me too. Have you ever been to Lincs?
Looking forward to your posts.

Now then, Dita! I'm a yellerbelly in exile; brought up near Gainsborough in the 50s and 60s. My father worked for Spillers and we moved to Essex when I was 16 because he was offered a better job at a flour mill in Chelmsford. I've lived 'dahn sarf' ever since and married an Essex Man (but I chucked out his white socks!). However, I'm still a Gainsborough lass inside. I still keep in touch with old school friends and get back to Lincs for a couple of days most years. I'm involved with the Lincolnshire Vintage Vehicle Society at North Hykeham (http://www.lvvs.org.uk)and I'll be up there on 4th November helping with the events at their autumn Open Day.
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:43 pm

Great to know that Andere, as you may have realised I had guessed because of your connection with Lacey whom I met a few years ago. My Mum when she was a lass lived in Gainsborough, my Grandad worked there, think it was Gilstrap & Earp or somewhere. My uncle was the Blacksmith @ Marton and I lived at Collingham Nr Newark during the war years. Thanks for the link to the Vintage Society, my cousin who lives at Winthorpe, Newark is a fan of the old motors and has most likely been a visitor at sometime. I live near Scunthorpe nowadays.
dita

Postby e » Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:17 pm

I'm late, as usual !! Sorry !

:hi: and :colorwelcome: to our shady haven Helen :)
e

Postby Andere Richtingen » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:52 pm

dita wrote:I lived at Collingham Nr Newark during the war years.

I went through Collingham about a month ago on my way to Epworth and was reminded of how much I've always liked it. I suspect though, that the constant traffic makes it a less attractive place to live than it was 50 or 60 or 70 years ago.

dita wrote:Thanks for the link to the Vintage Society, my cousin who lives at Winthorpe, Newark is a fan of the old motors and has most likely been a visitor at sometime. I live near Scunthorpe nowadays.

Well, do please send your coz the link; we'd be delighted to see him/her - you too, if you fancy an afternoon out. Just about everybody loves riding on our old buses. Ding, ding. Hold very tight, please!
(Sorry, webmasters, I'll stop all this shameless advertising now! :hide: )
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:24 pm

I went through Collingham about a month ago on my way to Epworth and was reminded of how much I've always liked it. I suspect though, that the constant traffic makes it a less attractive place to live than it was 50 or 60 or 70 years ago.[Quote]

Will certainly send Tony the link, thanks. We do occasionally pop to Gainsborough.
We lived at Queen St, Nth Collingham. It was a great place to live and the road through was very quiet compared to now.
Epworth is well known by me too, there is also Sandtoft where there is a vintage museum, you will almost certainly know of.
dita

Postby mo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm

A Big Image From me.
mo

Next

Return to Hello, I'm new