Postby Rowan » Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:01 am

What!! A librarian!!! :cheeky4:
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Angel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:16 am

I should let you all know that my cat slave took me to the Vet yesterday for my 3-monthly hormone injection. I knew what was about to happen and hid under the living room table, but she caught me and stuffed me into the carrier.

It was only when she went next door that she realised she had mis-read her watch and it was only 7.55 and not 8.55! She came back and released me and stood at the foot of the stairs laughing as I shot upstairs complaining loudly to myself! Stupid, stupid cat slave!

Anyway, they got me in there and I refused to walk out of the carrier. That Vet person opened the top of the carrier and hauled me out that way!

She had a look at the cyst on my chin and said the cat slave will need to keep an eye on it and agreed she was happy with the cleanser and ointment my slave had bought over the internet.

Then horror, after weighing me and saying I had lost a little weight, the Vet person violated me by digging her fingers in all around my tummy. I ask you! I felt dirty!

Then to make matters worse, she stuck in needle in my shoulder. I was very upset I can tell you! However, when my slave got me home she gave me a few treats and a small handful of biscuits. I was slightly more mollified after that. I did, however, stomp off up to bed just to let her know she had severely offended me!
Angel

Postby vannin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:13 pm

Oh Angel, poor you!
There is an awful human feeling sometimes, among slaves, of our pets maybe losing trust in us, each time there is a trip out in the carrier. You tend to give us very accusing and reproachful looks! Trixie's chin was rough in the Summer, it was cat acne. I used a cream, bought online and it worked.

The other matter which might make you untrusting of us, is the treatment for (or against) fleas and worms. I say 'against' because we are not suggesting you HAVE fleas and worms, but the treatment can also prevent them happening, and I am sure Trixie would rather be safe than sorry.

The time has come this week to administer the new dose to Trixie. It is the drops on the neck, a combined flea and wormer (Advocate), from the vet. The problem is, the previous two months treatments upset both of us. It was not the 'administering bit'. Poor little thing, she purred mightily while I held her close, parted the fur and squeezed the dropper, and then she still had not realised anything had happened, apart from a cuddle. It is the afterwards that is horrible. Careful as I was with not letting the liquid escape, in the ensuing days, especially last month, she got the nasty taste every time she washed and groomed.

Her appetite, usually huge, went away, right up till this week. She obviously felt unwell from the taste of the stuff, and had realised it came from my firm deceptive 'cuddling' on THAT morning. None of us enjoy restraining you puss-cats for a start. For a few days she ducked her head and flinched when I went to stroke her and that was when I knew the trust so carefully built-up, was going. Now she is coming for cuddles again, and I dread the thought of doing the treatment again, which is due any day now. There are four left out of six, plus a further one against tapeworm which the six treatments do not guard against.

So, I don't know. The alternative treatment which is by mouth, is something we abandoned with the other cats - such a performance and frightening for them. Trixie is so heavy and strong, it would need at least four hands anyway. The vet , when she was checked-up, had a job holding her, called the nurse, and the three of us had a job and that is just brief restraining without treatment.

So I don't know...........

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:48 pm

OK, I reached a decision. I shall tentively try a ground-up tablet in her food next time, though not holding out much hope. 'Wet' food gets discarded in favour of dry food, even without surprise ingredients added. If that fails, next I shall try a spray - again not holding out much hope - and I am likely to be savaged in the process!!

Viv
vannin

Postby Angel » Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:05 pm

It's a good job my human doesn't know I can read. There is as much chance of that working as there is of me playing the piano. Come to think of it my dear old mum did record "Kitten on the Keys".
Angel

Postby Angel » Sat Dec 11, 2010 9:10 pm

Hello Trixie - here's an idea to give you a little Christmas fun!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/video/2 ... -christmas

By the way, has your slave still got all her fingers intact?
Angel

Postby vannin » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh, what a nice thought..........'fraid I saw it first, before Trixie! Has anyone read 'A Cat called Birmingham' and its sequel, 'You can take the cat out of Slough' - both hilarious. They were written by a young man who lives in High Wycombe, and whose mum I used to work with.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat-Called-Birm ... 0340836040

Thank you for asking about my fingers. In the end I got some suitable tablets for crushing in food, and prepared the first one....at least half of it was eaten. I got some slightly funny looks later. I'll leave it now for a month and will give some thought to future worming method.

Viv
vannin

Postby vannin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:51 pm

Cats' Guide

DO WE NEED HUMANS?

So, you`ve decided to get yourself a human being! In doing so, you`ve joined the millions of other cats who have acquired these strange and often frustrating creatures. What`s so great about humans anywy?

Our greatest philosophers have struggled with this question for centuries, but the answer is really rather simple: THEY HAVE OPPOSABLE THUMBS. Which makes them the perfect tools for such tasks as opening doors, getting the lids off cat food cans, changing television stations and other activities that we, despite our other obvious advantages, find difficult to do ourselves. True, chimps, orangutans and lemurs have opposable thumbs, but are nowhere as easy to train.

HOW AND WHEN TO GET YOUR HUMAN`S ATTENTION/

humans often erroneously assume that there are other, more important activities than taking care of your immediate needs, such as housekeeping, going to their jobs, spending time with their families or even sleeping. Though this is dreadfully inconvenient, you can make this work to your advantage by pestering your human at the moment it is the busiest. It is usually so flustered that it will do whatever you want it to do. Here are some tried and true methods of getting your human to do what you want.

Sitting on Paper: an oldie but a goodie. If a human has paper in front of it, chances are good its something more important than you. They will often offer you a snack to lure you away. Establish your supremacy over this wood pulp product at every opportunity This practice also works well with computer keyboards, remote controls, car keys and small children.

WAKING YOUR HUMAN AT ODD HOURS. A cat`s golden time is between 3.30 and 4.30 inthe morning. If you paw at your human`s sleeping face during this time, you have a better than ever chance that it will get up in an incoherent daze and do exactly as you want. You may actually have to scratch deep sleepers to get their attention. Remember to vary the scratch site to keep the human from getting suspicious.

REWARDING YOUR HUMAN: Should your gift still be alive??

The cat world is divided over the etiquette of presenting humans with the thoughtful gift of a recently disembowelled animal. Some believe that humans prefer these gifts already dead while othere maintain that humans enjoy a slowly expiring cricket or rodent just as much as we do, given their jumpy and playful movements in picking up the creatures after they`ve been presented. After much consideration of the human psyche, we recommend that cold-blooded animals (large insects, lizards, garden snakes and the occasional earthworm) should be presented dead, while warmblooded animals (birds,rodents, your neighbour`s Pomeranian) are better still living. When you see the expression on your human's face, you`ll know it is worth it.'
vannin

Previous

Return to Hello, I'm new