13 Weeks of Hell

Except Personal Attacks

13 Weeks of Hell

Postby Monika » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:57 pm

On Sunday it will be 14 weeks since I got shingles and I am still feeling ill and suffering pain and nausea. The shingles have turned to Posthepetic Neuralgia and there is no sign of improvement any time soon. For the past 3 months, I haven't been anywhere except to the hospital and my doctor's surgery and I have been unable to do very much at all. My dear husband has been doing most of the chores etc.

I not only had shingles but my chronic urticaria was sent haywire and my medication stopped working causing me to suffer dreadful, painful itching and, for 8 weeks, I was having non-stop outbreaks of the hives, just about everywhere on my body for every single waking second and for three days of that, i was unable to sleep; exhaustion kicked in and, from time to time, I would nod off for between an hour and at the most three. Itching every waking moment sends you crazy and is sheer hell on earth. I don't know how I got through it.

I have been taken by ambulance twice; the first time when I was going through the roof in the constant torment from the urticaria and poor Brian did not know what to do with me to get me out of the misery and rang 999. However, we found out that you can be screaming and being driven out of your mind and there is nothing the hospital can do. ( though I suspect they would not leave the queen unattended in such circumstances). The second time was when a paramedic had come to the house and had tried to stop my discomfort. In the end, he got cold feet about giving me the injection he was discussing and sent for an ambulance to take me to the hospital where (he said) it would need a doctor to administer it; when we arrived I was sent to EMS at the hospital where I saw a doctor who sent me home with yet more pills to try.

Thankfully, my urticaria is now back to being manageable again and I just have this PHN to deal with but my days are spent in my being uncomfortable from the pain of PHN and only being able to sit one way, sleep only on my left otherwise the pain is excrutiating. (I'm sitting here with the drawer of my desk pulled out with a cushion pressed against my shingles scars to stop the pain) I am feeling continuously nauseas and
I am suffering from the most awful depression which I am unable to shake off.
If at first you don't succeed, sky diving isn't for you!
Monika

Re: 13 Weeks of Hell

Postby Penny » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Dear Monika, I can.t tell you how sorry I am to read your post. I have never heard of these illnesses so I can only say how awful it must be and will pray that your condition will soon improve. Cheers Penny
Penny

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:55 am

Thanks for your kind words, Penny xx
Monika

Postby dita » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:34 pm

Monika a few years ago when I had shingles in my head and eyes I thought that was bad because it almost blinded my right eye and it attacked every nerve ending in my upper body, but your poor body with that uticaria is excruciating to bear for 13weeks, people don't realise just what shingles can do when it really does get a hold of your body because for most it is just a couple of weeks with discomfort. I do hope it eases soon Monika xxxx
dita

Postby Monika » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:26 pm

Thank you dita. What you had sounds equally horrific; my problems have been made worse by my age, I believe, and may well account for the lasting nature of this illness. I actually think the two things together have thoroughly mucked up my innards which may well take some time yet to be back to normal.

Here's something to make you laugh ................... you will understand when I say that the pain you get is like electric shocks and they make me cry out.
The other week, I was talking to my youngest on the phone and I said: "To top it all up, I've now got another illness to contend with" "Oh no, what's that?" he said. My answer Tourettes!" :mrgreen:
Monika

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:05 pm

So sorry to read this saga of misery, Monika. I'd hoped you were getting better by now and your long absence might be because Brian had whisked you off on a world cruise to recuperate. He must deserve a group hug :grouphug: from the sisterhood here for all his caring/housekeeping efforts over the past weeks.

May I recommend Olive from the Bach Flower remedies? It's useful in helping recovery from a long, exhausting illness and in overcoming chronic tiredness. The Gentian remedy may help with the depression, also. The flower remedies won't conflict with other medicines.
Very best wishes from here for an improvement, soon. :bighugs:
Andere Richtingen

Postby lavonne » Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:08 pm

Dear Monica you have my sympathy,Im so sorry to hear you are still suffering. My friend had shingles a few years ago ,she was 80/81 and had a terrible time, one night her daughter took her to a 24 hour walk in centre she was in so much pain, they gave her some special lotion to put on the 'spots 'which helped a bit, then she had a team of nurses come round every day to dress her 'wounds', she suffered a long time, but cant remember how long. Surely your own GP could give you something for your pain. I do agree about going to hospital emergency, each time Ie gone to one Ive been left alone in a cubicle, someone popping in/out to take blood pressure etc, sent for Xray / scan before doing anything .then sent me home next day with little help.Now when I feel really in I just sit up in bed and try to count the hours till morning, telling myself I am not going to A+EI am not
lavonne

Postby caroljoyce » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 pm

I am so sorry to hear of your illness Monika. it sounds truly horrendous.
I hope by some miracle you will start to recover soon.

There is a shingles vaccine isn't there? After reading this I think I will make enquiries about it.
caroljoyce

Postby vannin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 am

Monika, I hope you receive some relief from this and get well soon. I remember when my late husband suffered with it.

Carol, the vaccine applies to a certain age group and you may not be old enough! The notice that is in my waiting room (which, sadly, I have spent too many hours in) says something like ....you should be between 74 and 78 in the period 20-- to 20--. I can't put the figures to the --, but I know I have the right age band but the wrong years so not eligible. Another cause for ranting :tantrum2:
vannin

Postby dita » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:16 pm

Last year it was age limit as 80yrs because I could have had it but because of my previous bout of it didn't bother.
dita

Postby Monika » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:25 pm

Thank you EVERYONE for all your kind wishes; today,I do feel slightly improved, and I found my appetite slightly improved too.

Please, do get the injection if it is offered but, be warned it is not guaranteed to stop you getting shingles - Brian and I had it 1n 2014 .
Monika

Postby Maywalk » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Blimey Monika.
You certainly have been put through the mill by the looks of it. Are you feeling any better?
Maywalk

Postby Monika » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:30 pm

Hi Maisie. I think I am slightly improving as I went for a little ride around the block on my scooter this afternoon and even managed to sit out in the sunshine without too much pain, thank you.

However, I had to cancel a hospital appointment this morning as I was feeling nauseous again for most of the first half of today. This is the umpteenth time I've had to cancel and rearrange it. I really need to get it done (it's the annual checkup of my aneurism and is really important). Next time they arrange it, I will have to fill myself with strong pain-killers and just Bite the bullet, I think. Better still, I hope it will have beggared off by then :please:

Thanks for asking Maisie ........... ain't old age great eh! Hope you're OK xx
Monika

Postby Maywalk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:20 am

Hi Monika.
I hope you manage to get round to getting that vital hospital appointment sorted out.
I too have continual pain from the hip that has not healed plus the Spondylitis not to mention the Chronic Asthma and Epilepsy. I must admit at times I want to sit and scream. YES old age can be a sodding pain in more ways than one at times but having said that I am still lucky to be here to moan about it because I have no family left on my side regarding brothers and sister. They all died in their 50s/60s. :sad:
Got to keep going.
Maywalk

Postby Canuckian » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:03 pm

How awful, hope it improves quickly. Hubby and I got the shingles shot a couple of years ago, is it available in the U.K. ?
Canuckian

Return to Anything Goes