Rats

Except Personal Attacks

Rats

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:54 pm

I've seen a large rat at the bottom of the garden - and where there's one, there's likely to be more!

What do I do? Trap - poison?
caroljoyce

Re: Rats

Postby widget » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:25 pm

Just make sure there is nothing at all for it to eat and it will go find food some where else,
after all it is 'wild life' think I might have said the wrong thing, :sunglasses:
widget

Postby caroljoyce » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:38 pm

I'm just afraid of them getting in the house - and they spread disease don't they?

I just looked online to see if my council would do it but the have quite a hefty charge - £65 for the 1st visit and £25 for any follow ups. That's too much for us to pay.
Looks like I'll have to do it myself.

Any advice appreciated.
caroljoyce

Postby dejavou » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:39 pm

I had a spate of them last year, even though I have a Jack Russell that is always in the garden, and had to result in putting poison down in the end, after around 3 applications, I haven't seen them since, just be careful if you do lay poison that it can't be taken by pets and birds
dejavou
Bumble Bee

Postby Andere Richtingen » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:44 pm

I read this post right after I saw a news report which claimed the borough we moved from last year now has the 6th largest population of rats in the country. I'm darn' glad I'm outta there although I never saw a rat. Someone told me that was because we had so many urban foxes, which keeps numbers down. :dunno:
However, a friend whose house was invaded by rats had to use a pest control company who came and put traps down. They wouldn't use poison because of the danger to my friend's and other cats. She was also told to replace the broken airbrick under the kitchen floor, which was where they gained access, and to check all her other airbricks were intact. She was also advised to cut back overgrown shrubs and jungly weeds in the garden so there was nowhere for them to nest; not to scatter bird seed on the ground and to make sure rubbish was in a securely lidded bin. I think she would happily have napalmed the garden if it meant the rats stayed away! I think a total of three rats were caught in the traps over 2 to 3 weeks and since then, there's been no further problems. I think the total cost was around the £200 mark in the spring of 2016.
Andere Richtingen

Postby maggieh » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:48 pm

My son had a rat in his garden last year,the first time his wife put bread out for the birds they copped a rat.They saw it shoot back under the shed,so soon put poison under the shed.It got rid of it and any babies it may have had.
The whole road had had letters from the council saying there were rats around.
maggieh

Postby laurie53 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 pm

Many, if not most, local councils will deal with this as part of their environmental health regime.

Try laying it on a bit thick about Tony being vulnerable!
laurie53

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:40 am

laurie53 wrote:Many, if not most, local councils will deal with this as part of their environmental health regime.

Try laying it on a bit thick about Tony being vulnerable!

That's exactly what I've done laurie - in an email.

I await an answer.
caroljoyce

Postby Maywalk » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:57 am

Have you contacted your local councillor Carol?
Does your area have a facebook page like most places do to put a message on there for folks to be aware of this problem PLUS the fact how much their local council wants to charge.

If that were me I would be pulling out all the plugs because I bet a good many of the folk where you live are under the impression that the council will do this and think it is covered with paying their rates.
I hope you get a satisfactory answer to your e-mail. Good Luck.
Maywalk

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:17 am

Thanks Maisie. I will do both the things you suggest.
caroljoyce

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 am

I emailed the council to complain but got no joy.
Here is their answer... Warmhearted lot aren't they?

Env Admin <Env.Admin@ambervalley.gov.uk>

9:37 AM (17 minutes ago)
to me

Good morning,

Unfortunately there are no concessions, even for elderly residents, etc.

You are correct in saying that there are other city / borough councils that do not charge for the service, however each council can choose to charge for this service and Amber Valley have chosen to do this.

If you purchased rat treatment yourself could anyone else nearby help you put the treatment down? Rat poison bait can be purchased from places like B&Q, hardware shops, etc.

Regards

James

Environmental Services
caroljoyce

Postby widget » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:14 am

Local Councils are a rule to themselves, have you seen the rat any more??
widget

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 am

Yes I saw it yesterday - a fat wobbling thing. Then a few minutes later I saw another big one.

They both dashed across the garden and disappeared under my Arbour seat.

There may be more under there - eeeeekkkkk
caroljoyce

Postby widget » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:04 pm

Sounds like you may have a 'problem' sorry,
widget

Postby caroljoyce » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:38 pm

Yes I have a problem.
I'd better have a chat with the man in the flat next door. He keeps a few hens on the car park & I suspect they might be attracting the rats.
I've seen the rats running from his property to mine.

The problem is - he's scruffy and I don't think a few rats would bother him.
Oh well - I can but try!!
caroljoyce

Next

Return to Anything Goes