One bang on a peaceful evening

Except Personal Attacks

One bang on a peaceful evening

Postby vannin » Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:12 pm

Not fireworks this time. No, it was in the kitchen though nothing had been switched on at the time. All the neon lights that are usually on were still on. Then I pressed the on-switch of my dishwasher and it was very dead.

Death of this Bosch appliance has been expected because it was over thirteen years old. I have checked that the average modern dishwasher has a life of 7 to 12 years. I have been fairly lucky eg my boiler had lasted sixteen years before giving up this Summer. Since being on my own the d/w is the only thing left that I have not replaced. But it is only me here and I only ran a dish-load about three times a week. Even if it is repairable, the cost would likely be as much as a new one, and I think most repairmen would reject the job.

So I am thinking it won't hurt to do manual washing-up from now on!
Anyone else had theirs give up literally with a bang. It quite surprised me, to put it mildly.
vannin

Re: One bang on a peaceful evening

Postby Lacemaker » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

I have just replaced my washing machine .... after 20/25 years ! So I don’t think it owed me anything. The old one wasn’t spin drying thoroughly and then it started flooding the laundry so I decided on a new one rather than having someone out to repair the old. What a difference between the old and the new, though. The new one weighs the clothes and then fills with enough water to wash them and then tells you how long they will take to wash and sounds a tone when they are finished. No central agitator, either.
----------------------------------
Be Crafty
Lacemaker
Sewing Bee

Postby laurie53 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 am

I have Bosch dishwasher, about ten years old, a compact model, so I am forewarned!

I won't repair anything that old and already have the money for a new one tucked away in an interest earning account!

I too only fire it up two or three times a week, but I wouldn't be without it'.

Think of the future V****** (sorry, I still can't read your name, and I don't want to be rude by getting it wrong yet again!). In ten years time will you want to be stood at the sink getting a wet belly and a sore back washing up a cup and saucer? It's as much as I can do to fill the kettle!
laurie53

Postby vannin » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:39 am

laurie53 wrote:I have Bosch dishwasher, about ten years old, a compact model, so I am forewarned!

I won't repair anything that old and already have the money for a new one tucked away in an interest earning account!

I too only fire it up two or three times a week, but I wouldn't be without it'.

Think of the future V****** (sorry, I still can't read your name, and I don't want to be rude by getting it wrong yet again!). In ten years time will you want to be stood at the sink getting a wet belly and a sore back washing up a cup and saucer? It's as much as I can do to fill the kettle!

Laurie, my misgivings are the same as your last paragraph. It may be more true if I say I remain without one for the time being. I am hoping to soon get a very important pendant alarm as I have become a person who falls and gets fractures....although none of my falls have been at home (yet!) But these safety aids are pricey.
This year the outlay on new boiler (£2,200) and new kitchen lighting (£770) made a large hole.
As to my name, would capitals help? I know it is considered bad form to use capitals on forums but just this once. It is V A N N I N, If you know anything about the Isle of Man, then the word will make sense to you!
vannin

Postby laurie53 » Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:05 pm

Is it Vannin?

All I know about the IoM can be seen between The Bungalow and Ago's Leap!

Did visit there once, 20 minutes at Jurby for some fuel.

Are you having to pay full price for your pendant? I get mine free from the Health & Social Care Partnership we have in Fife, I pay £100 a year for the monitoring service which for 24/7, including 25 th of next month is reasonable.

Gives you confidence and good peace of mind. I have used it twice in five years.

As you say, stuff is expensive. My "wet " bathroom cost me £3000 but as the total cost was £7k + that was less than half price with the council picking up the rest.
laurie53

Postby marieann » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:45 pm

We registered with Care Connect, Viv. It's through the County Council and costs us about £27.00 a month. We don't call them out often, just if Tony falls, but it's still worth paying for the peace of mind. They bring a plastic pad and push it under him then inflate it and he ends up sitting on a high cushion, so easy. He has a wrist pendant at no extra cost. I know Durham are very good with elderly care but I would have thought you would have something like that where you are.

I've never had a dish washer, apart from me. I can sill remember Nathan when he was very young opening all the kitchen doors looking for it, he thought I was joking and couldn't believe any kitchens were without one. :lol:
marieann

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm

My last dishwasher, a Zanussi, made a similar noisy exit about 10 years ago - around 3pm on 25th December! These devices know how to pick their moment; I firmly believe they have malice built into them :sad: .
Andere Richtingen

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm

My last dishwasher, a Zanussi, made a similar noisy exit about 10 years ago - around 3pm on 25th December! These devices know how to pick their moment; I firmly believe they have malice built into them :sad: .

Sorry. Fumble fingers. No idea how I managed to post this twice??? :thinking:
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:40 pm

I really must get some advice about how I can get the sort of protection you are mentioning about, when I was carer for my hubby we both had protection but things have changed now.
I used to have a dishwasher but gave it to my son, I use the old method and just wash up as I go along, it doesn't bother me. Can anyone tell be why trying to type odd letters is a problem, bbbbbbbbbbb for 1 keeps missing then for some reason works, have cleaned the keys as much as I can, maybe mi laptop has had it-----bit like me :)
dita

Postby Andere Richtingen » Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:07 pm

Dita - if you haven't already, try re-starting the PC. One of mine sometimes does that and a reboot usually clears it.

(No. I don't know why, either....) :dunno:
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:20 pm

Hi Andere have tried that many times, it has been doing it for a couple of months now, even tried giving it a bit of a hoover.
dita

Postby Andere Richtingen » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:42 am

Sorry, Dita - not trying to be patronising or anything; it's just sometimes easy to overlook the simple things (if you're a simple thing like me, anyway!). Another thought: get one of those little "puffer" brushes with the rubber air bulb, the sort used for cleaning camera lenses etc. and have a good puff around under all the keys to clear any accumulated fluff, crumbs or whatever. I did once manage to clear a tiny piece of broken plastic off something that was jamming the L key on a keyboard with the brush from my camera bag. (If you don't have one of those brushes, they can be got quite cheaply on Amazon. Certainly less expensive than the repairman!)
Andere Richtingen

Postby dita » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:41 pm

Hi Andere I don't think you patronising at all. i have an Akasa fan sat underneath it and because that did'nt work have had the hoover blow over it, ..that ......cos the puffer did not work either.......think I'll run it under the tap :)
dita

Postby Maywalk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:49 pm

Never bothered with a dishwasher,I wash the pots as I go along.
As for the pendants or Lifeline I have had one for well over 16 years now.
Mine are from Tunstall and with having Epilepsy I have a special one in my bed that detects my body going into seizures and I also have a body belt that does the same BUT I have found the body belt TOO sensitive to certain movements so I dont bother with it now and if anything goes out with a bang it will be me. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

https://www.lifeline24.co.uk/?gclid=EAI ... gKPM_D_BwE

https://lionsclubs.co/MemberArea/message-in-a-bottle/
Maywalk

Postby vannin » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:39 am

marieann wrote:We registered with Care Connect, Viv. It's through the County Council and costs us about £27.00 a month. We don't call them out often, just if Tony falls, but it's still worth paying for the peace of mind. They bring a plastic pad and push it under him then inflate it and he ends up sitting on a high cushion, so easy. He has a wrist pendant at no extra cost. I know Durham are very good with elderly care but I would have thought you would have something like that where you are.

I've never had a dish washer, apart from me. I can sill remember Nathan when he was very young opening all the kitchen doors looking for it, he thought I was joking and couldn't believe any kitchens were without one. :lol:

Marieann, I looked into the locations of Care Connect and my area, Bucks along with most of the South-East appears to be without it. I haven't looked up London yet though. I have decided to have AgeUK because I 'know' them and they 'know' me. It is good to be VAT exempt by medical history. By the weekend this could be in and operational! But it was one unexpected expense at the wrong time (is there ever a right time?)

Andere. We had one Christmas Day when the oven blew up while my son-in-law was at the late stages of preparing the dinner. Another 25th, the hot water stopped and the tank in the loft had to be dealt with (luckily the plumber is a neighbour)
vannin

Return to Anything Goes