Nick Clegg

Where to start a debate on items in the News or Poliitcal Debate

Nick Clegg

Postby Rowan » Fri May 07, 2010 11:20 am

Although not with my party of choice, I was seriously impressed with Nick Clegg in his interview today. He said that the parties now have to think in the national interest and not in some narrow political interest. Well said Nick, he seems to have retained some ethics.

I was seriously disappointed to see the Tories votes and it was not the voters of Scotland who put them in. So you see how it does not matter who we vote for, it is always the English vote which counts. If David Cameron is the new Prime Minister then heaven help us all.
Avoid the evil, and it will avoid thee.
Gaelic Proverb

Ad eundum quo nemo ante iit.
Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Victors Mate » Fri May 07, 2010 2:59 pm

I agree Eve.
I have been looking at the stats that this undemocratic system has given us in this so-called democracy. I will work them out and post them here.
Victors Mate

Postby Victors Mate » Fri May 07, 2010 3:12 pm

OK judging by the way we voted our views would be best met as follows

Conservative 236
Labour 190
Liberal Democrat 151
Democratic Unionist Party 4
Scottish National Party 12
Sinn Fein 4
Plaid Cymru 5
Social Democratic & Labour Party 3
Green 7
UK Independence Party 21
British National Party 12
Ulster Conservatives and Unionists – New Force 3
English Democrats 1
Respect-Unity Coalition 1

What an undemocratic country we [s]live [/s]Exist in :sad:
Victors Mate

Postby Steve » Fri May 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Well Eve we will just have to wait and see. Remember when the Libs joined forces with Labour up here? Two days before the election they stated quite definitely that they would only become King makers if they got tuition fees abolished.......one week later? .....'That was political rhetoric' stated Jim Wallace their leader.

Dont trust any of them as Clegg only wants a seat at the big table.

Were it I then I would insist he repaid the stolen £2.4 million before joining in my party....
Steve

Postby dita » Fri May 07, 2010 4:12 pm

We blew it, and it was a chance for us to change things. :tantrum2: :dunno:
dita

Postby Oddquine » Sat May 08, 2010 2:20 am

Ach, problem is that folk tend to run scared.

I didn't listen to a lot of the election rhetoric, as I don't vote on policies, just on independence.........but what little I heard seemed to consist mostly of trashing the other side.

Heck, you even got it in Scotland against the SNP, when there was no realistic chance of the SNP, in a UK setting, making any difference whatsoever.

Could still change things...provided Nick Clegg sticks to Lib-Dem principles, and insists on something concrete on PR rather than a third useless talking shop..because the FPTP system means we will, forever more lurch from Tory to Nulabour...... one or other of which will spend half of a Parliamentary term sorting out the actions taken by the previous differently coloured Government.....and the majority of the country have to take what they get, rather than what they want.
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby Rowan » Sat May 08, 2010 8:49 am

Couldn't have put it better myself. I do dread the next few years if it is under David Cameron, he has no idea what life is like for the majority of people plus he comes across as a sleazebag.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby clevewyn » Sat May 08, 2010 9:01 am

I wouldn`t worry too much about Cameron.

You should instead consider George Gideon Oliver Osborne who apart from political work his only claim to fame appears to be that he was as a recorder of Deaths for the NHS in London and a shelf stacker at Selfridges.

He could be your next Chancellor of the Exchequer.
clevewyn

Postby Oddquine » Sat May 08, 2010 11:50 am

clevewyn wrote:I wouldn`t worry too much about Cameron.

You should instead consider George Gideon Oliver Osborne who apart from political work his only claim to fame appears to be that he was as a recorder of Deaths for the NHS in London and a shelf stacker at Selfridges.

He could be your next Chancellor of the Exchequer.

That explains his interest in tax simplification, then.........it's so he can understand it! :mrgreen:
Oddquine
Queen Bee

Postby clevewyn » Sat May 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Mind you he has a point with that.

All the financial sector from tax to welfare is so complicated even those sitting on top of it cant work it out, so what chance has some poor old biddy of working out what she`s entitled to not to mention filling out the form to claim it.
clevewyn

Postby Victors Mate » Sat May 08, 2010 1:49 pm

If, as some of our Scottish members want, Scotland achieves it’s independence we would have an English government at Westminster. On the first past the post system the Tories would have a built in majority and in all probability become the ruling party in perpetuity.

Proportional representation is in the interest of democracy in England but it is not in the interests of the Tory party or the aristocracy hence they do not want it. In the case of the Labour party opting to support the first past the post system is equivalent to turkeys voting for Christmas.
Victors Mate

Postby Old-n » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm

Comments above the line were taken off the net

If Scotland achieves its independence

There should be no need to worry about such costs in an independent Scotland. We will not be wasting money on a nuclear deterrent or massive defence costs

SNP ministers are preparing to go into next year's election with a controversial pledge of "free" university education for all Scots, in contrast to plans to make English students pay thousands of pounds for their degree

A bus pass to take you anywhere in Scotland, free.

Prescriptions are also free

===========================================================

1) The Scots are quite happy for us to pay for this county's defence as well as theirs.
2) Should Scotland if it gets its Independence pay toward the defence of Great Britain.

3) I think Scotland is getting a very good deal the way they are.
4) A free bus pass does not take me all over England only into the next county
5) You have to be over 65 to get free Prescriptions or certain illness.

I agree with you VM Scotland's MPs should not be able to vote on anything the only involves England
Old-n

Postby Victors Mate » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm

VM also thinks because of his action the Clegg half of the Chuckle Brothers is a bliddy disgrace to his party and a traitor to his party supporters over his pledge breaking support of the student fees increases. The same goes for the rest of the pledge breaking chancers.
Victors Mate

Postby Rowan » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:50 pm

1) The Scots are quite happy for us to pay for this county's defence as well as theirs.

The Scots have never been conquered, I think we could manage defence on our shores pretty well. I would like to see all nuclear weapons banned in ALL countries. Defence is something which would HAVE to be shared by all countries in these islands - stupid otherwise.

2) Should Scotland if it gets its Independence pay toward the defence of Great Britain.

Yes, it should have to pay its share.

3) I think Scotland is getting a very good deal the way they are.

No we don't, but it is nearer to fairness than it was for hundreds of years. We had many years of misrule by governments who only care about England - and the south of England at that.

4) A free bus pass does not take me all over England only into the next county

It would be better if it were but it depends what the voters want and need.

5) You have to be over 65 to get free Prescriptions or certain illness

Why not make your parliament have this? I think this is one of the best ideas to come out of a Scottish parliament. How many people suffer because they can't afford a prescription.
Gaelic Proverb

Rowan
Site Admin

Postby Old-n » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:53 am

Would the Scotland's MPs vote for it?

Scotland's MPs voted for the rise to 9 thousand pounds for students knowing it would not effect them
Old-n

Next

Return to Politics and News